can I resell a product I have customised with painting etc?

if I was to buy a product from a shop and customise it by painting it etc, and the design I had done was completely different to the original, can I sell it as my own work?

Let's say you purchase a Hewlett-Packard laptop and wish to paint a custom picture on the lid you can surely resell the computer you just have to say personalized Hewlett-Packard laptop artwork by Jane or John Doe

• John P

If it was truly "completely different" then there would be nothing of the original picture left, and you could thus sell it as your own work. But you might not get as much for it as you paid for the earlier picture. Better to buy a blank canvas to do your own painting.

• John

Custom car and bike shops do that every day. You just can't pretend that you made the Chevy to begin with.

The painting is your own work, the item purchased is not.

i believe u can but don't quote me on that