Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 3 months ago

What does "too old to cry, but not old enough to swear" mean to you?

My aunty always says that.

• Vicki
    Favorite Answer

Means you're in the awkward part of your life where you shouldn't be crying about things anymore, you're too grown up for that. But when something upsets you or makes you angry you are too young to swear at the person/object/situation.

An experienced adult with BOTH EYES & EARS OPEN.

She is basically saying she has "been around the block." In other words you cannot "pull the wool over her eyes" ... she has learned much wisdom in her maturing years, but has not so aged that she has become mild and feeble in her advanced years ... yet. Don't take her words too lightly as she has mucjn wisdom to share.

I think zhe iz , ironically , hinting

that you let you oughtta weep (wherever) rather than bottling it then letting go in cuzzing aloud, inztead.

Mildly, fondly , jozhing at you imho.

Lizten for her inflectionz (tone of voice, the attitude it conveyz for you ).

:) 0h, but yeah, the teen yearz are a lezzon in multiple levelz of learning how (or not) to navigate, I recall.

This comes from the notion that only babies cry, but bad habits such as swearing are often overlooked in elderly people.  So, your aunt means "I'm no baby, but I'm not an old codger, either.

• geezer

Older than a child, but not an adult yet .. a teenager.

• Frank

Older than six and younger than 13. Other adults might thing you have to be older to swear. So 18.

To me, it means ... you are in that awkward teen age years.

Well...you're never too old to cry for the right reasons. It's that age after 10 but before a full teenager when you are too old to whine about everything but not old enough to curse all the bs you gotta go through...just guessing

Well, it traditionally means you are smart enough not to cry but don t be dumb enough and steep low.