Why are people so against gay teens having sex under eighteen?

It's not like two guys or two girls can end up pregnant right? Seriously I don't get why people have such an issue with me having sex with a semi-older guy at sixteen, the age of consent is 16 here so it's legal and he's only twenty-two. I think their just jealous I'm able to get screwed by a total hottie when they can't even get dates honestly.

My wife and I started having sex at 16 as well, so I don't think it's just gay teens that catch the hate. Where I live, he would go to prison but I have lived in many countries were it's legal. Being a father to 3 teens myself, I would want to know why a 22 year old isn't dating people their own age, but if he made and exception out of love and is a good person, I would be okay with it.

• reme_1

THe laws are there to protect the minor from someone abusing his power as a person of authority- like a teacher, preacher, adult friend, etc. We want our children to grow up and understand the responsibilities before having sex.

Christian brainwashing, I guess. Nothing wrong with teens having sex.

The problem is the age gap. Not the fact that you are having sex or that you are gay. 5 years isn't huge but considering you are only 16 it is kind of a big gap and I would be curious to know why a 22 year old is with you. Is he actually interested because he likes you or is it a power and manipulation thing?

It's not just gay teens, it's teens in general. The age of consent may be 16, but the guy can still go to jail for sleeping with a minor.

The younger you are the more age gaps matter. Doesn't matter if you are straight, gay, bi whatever. Someone in their teens is in a very different stage of development than someone in their 20s. Normal 20 year olds do not date teenagers, you aren't special he is going to take advantage of you, he already is. He likes you because you look up in a way that idolizes him. You think you are cooler than everyone because you have an older bf. That makes you easier to manipulate and groom. Thats what adults that seek out teens or kids are looking for. He can't get with someone his own age so he looks for someone he can manipulate. Please be safe. If anything have sex with someone your own age. Don't let this guy use you. And use condoms, you could risk getting an STI. I think is fine for teens to have sex with other teens as long as they know how to practice safe sex and do so. Its not okay for adults to have sex with teens. 

Older adults take advantage of teens. Its wrong. It can cause psychological issues later on.

You better investigate the law where you live - and so should he. Since you are minor - many states have a 2 year cap on who you have sex with. So in your case since you are 16 if you have sex with someone over 18 - and if that law exists where you live - that person would be guilty of statutory rape which means prison and having to register as a sex offender for life. Even if you testified on his behalf - he could be ruined him for life. Ignorance is not bliss. Know the law where you are. These consequences are very real.

I’m a gay man - but I wouldn’t want any teen age son of mine having sex with a 22 year old. If I were your dad and found out - i’d press charges for sure.

I dont get why you worry about what others think.

By entertaining them you are playing their game.

• Cogito

It's really because at 16, you're not mature enough for a sexual relationship with anyone at all.  Teens are usually so impressionable and gullible that there's a risk of them getting into an abusive or harmful relationship.

A perspective from within the LGBT community itself. Young LGBT teen are even more impressionable than regular teens and have a tendency to latch on to the first positive role model they find. It really does leave them open to coercive control and other forms of abuse. It's far better to make your mistakes with someone closer to your own age who is as clueless as you are yourself!

*I'm not against it, I don't see how you stop it happening, but just too often individual situations set off alarm bells!