Car accident when I wasn't insured for business?

I had been doing a bit of delivery driving to make a bit of extra money and hadn’t realized I should have had business insurance cover on my truck. I got into an accident where I rear ended a car. As I hadn’t taken out business insurance I have no cover. The girl who’s car I collided with has an estimate for $6000... show more I had been doing a bit of delivery driving to make a bit of extra money and hadn’t realized I should have had business insurance cover on my truck. I got into an accident where I rear ended a car. As I hadn’t taken out business insurance I have no cover. The girl who’s car I collided with has an estimate for $6000 worth of damage and expenses.

A friend has advised me that without insurance cover I’m on the hook to pay for the damage myself and as I don’t have the money to pay her up front, he says the most likely situation is that she will sue me through the small claims court as she could do this without a lawyer and I would then likely have to pay through having my wages garnished.

Is he advising me correctly?