Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 11 months ago

Can my landlord be held liable? Do i have a potential lawsuit on my hands?

I had a water pipe burst underneath the bathroom sink in my apartment that i’m currently leasing. I finally got the water to the house shutoff after 3-5 minutes of water pouring from the wall beneath the sink and into the house. I got second degree burns while my arm was briefly exposed to scalding water while trying to shutoff the water under the sink. We eventually got the water shutoff for the entire house down in the basement, although having never needed to do that before I had difficulty finding this lever. To what extent is my landlord responsible here? What compensation, if any, am I entitled to?

You're obviously just looking for a free handout, but guess what you're not going to get it. Go make money in an honest way, and don't sit around thinking of a way to sue the landlord because you're mad you don't own property. Judges are wise to losers like you wanting to make a quick buck & cause landlords grief & headaches. You are entitled to nothing but being evicted & having that on your record for many years.

You are not entitled to any money, if that is what you are thinking. After all, it is the landlord's loss, not yours. You are entitled to a reasonable time period of repair. That's about it.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Judy

VERY unlikely you can show negligence of the landlord's part, so you're entitled to nothing.

Just shoot me. I am a landlord and my assets are trapped in the properties - I would generate huge tax liabilities if I sold them so I could get away from people who are trying to take the money I spent my entire life accumulating.

You are entitled to nothing unless you can prove that the bursting pipe was because of the landlord's negligence. You would have to prove that the landlord was aware there was a problem and did nothing about it.

This came as a total surprise to you. Logic says it came as a total surprise to the landlord, too. If this had been your own property, your medical insurance, or you, yourself, would cover your injuries. It is no different when you rent, unless you can prove negligence on the part of the property owner.

Additionally, in a property owner's defense, if a good lawyer can argue that your injuries were not caused by the bursting pipe but by your own action/inaction, you would lose. Had YOU not made the decision to put yourself at risk by trying to shut off where the hot water was, and instead gone straight to the main shutoff, you would not have been injured. And even when you rent, it is incumbent upon you to know where shutoffs, circuit breakers and other safety features are located, so that in an emergency, you don't take extra time having to look for them. Even if negligence was proven, any award you got would be reduced by the percentage to which you contributed to your injury. If negligence was proven, you might be awarded full recovery for the depreciated value of your possessions that were destroyed by the leak, but you may get little or nothing for the injury, if it can be argued that you were injured only because of your own unsafe response to the leak.

• R P

Your health insurance will cover your medical costs, that's why you have it. It then becomes their job to subrogate to the landlord if they determine he was liable for your injury.

Did you notify your landlord that there was a problem ?

• B

read the lease, first. see what it says if any thing on leaks. at the same time, call a lawyer.

if you could make a convincing case in front of a judge you might be able to get something, you would have to prove the landlord was negligent and did not provide a safe environment. If you have kids living in the apartment that would definitely be a plus for your argument. Also if you didnt go to the hospital for your burns, it's unlikely youll get anything. If the water damaged any of your property it's unlikely the judge will care about that, he will probably tell you to get renters insurance next time

Nothing. You’re the one who decided to try to shut off the water. Now if you were just cooking or whatever and the pipe burst and you get sprayed with scalding water, then the landlord might be responsible for your medical bills and pain and suffering.