Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 8 months ago

Why my dog isnt eating by it self I want to vets They if your dog's isn't eating you have to feed I have a pomeranian Any solutions?

Why my dog isnt eating by itself I went to vets "if your dog's isn't eating by itself you have to feed" I have a pomeranian Any solutions?

• PR

If all your vet has to say is, "Feed the dog", then you might need a different vet. Reasons a dog may not eat his/her food:

-Doesn't like food you are giving.

-You are feeding dry food-only.

-Feeding too much.

-Dog is sick.

-You are feeding too many treats between dog meals.

Sometimes dogs don't like the food you are offering, or get tired of one food. Don't buy a huge bag of just one food in case the dog gets tired of the food. If your dog doesn't like the food you bought, most pet stores will refund your money.

Try a different food, and then mix a little canned food with it and a little water. Most dogs DO NOT like dry food without anything else added. It just doesn't go down well, and doesn't taste very good, either. 

Dog food bags usually suggest more food than a dog can eat. Feed less than the bag suggests, as long as the dog is maintaining his or her weight. If you are feeding too much food, the dog just will get tired of eating. Besides that, a dog should not be on a SELF-FEEDING program. Meals should be offered two times per day: once in the morning and once at night. Put the food down and if the dog hasn't eaten in about ten minutes, take it back up. 

If you are feeding too many treats between doggie meals, the dog won't be hungry. Stop giving treats and see if that helps.

But, if the dog is sick, it won't want to eat. If your dog is too skinny, or lethargic, or has any other symptoms, it needs to go to a vet who will diagnose what is wrong. If you are giving too much food, then give less food.

Consult with a different vet if your dog continues not eating.

Just do like the Chinese and make dog your dinner

Either the dog is simply spoiled and being "finicky" or the dog has a problems in its mouth (like bad teeth) or an esophagus or trachea issue. Toy dogs frequently do have bad teeth that need to be PULLED. Did your vet RULE OUT any and all mouth problems?

If you did not get a firm diagnosis as to WHY your dog is not eating, I suggest getting a second opinion - by seeing a new vet. Canned dog food or (meat in a jar - human baby food ) are my suggestions.

• E. H. Amos

WHY - do YOU think she stopped eating? Too many treats, or changes in the food offered (therefore becoming picky) or some mouth problem?

The Pomeranian is your friend that you have chosen to walk with and you feed it old dry up mill rejects and who know what's dog food.....shame on you....Honor your friend with the food you eat....but big dogs will eat anything licking their chops.....

• Bhavin8 months agoReport

She won't eat that too

Clearly English isn't your first language but if I understand what you are asking, your vet has told you to force-feed? NO!! A healthy dog will very rarely starve itself to death, so if your vet hasn't diagnosed why your dog isn't eating, FIND ANOTHER VET.

@ Elizabeth. I didn't see this as advising 'hand feeding' but more 'force feeding' ('you HAVE to feed'.). Which again is not only counter-productive, but cruel. Clearly my interpretation of what's suggested here, which I believe is understandable, differs from yours. Matters not tho - I'd want a DIAGNOSIS as to why a healthy dog needs either to be hand fed, or force fed.

Add . Did your vet check inside his mouth - she's young but perhaps her adult teeth came in incorrectly - double banking with teeth can happen if the baby teeth don't come out as they should..... etc.

• Lv 5

Where do you get force feeding from? How about the vet advised this person to hand feed to entice it to eat?