promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Can I get a doctors note excluding me from being around Cigarette smoke?

Hello I am 28 years old I work at a detox center where I am around detox patients who are taken down to smoke plenty of times throughout the day part of my job is to engage around clients even while they are smoking which is understandable but my question is every time I am around cigarette smoke I get migraines so I was wondering if anyone has gone through a similar situation and has gotten a doctors note From their doctors to not be around smoking I get very bad migraines every time I am around it any questions answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Roddy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago
    Favourite answer

Nobody should ever be required as part of their job to endure cigarette smoke. It is a known carcinogen, even in 'second-hand' form as well as causing problems like the migraine you suffer from. Your clothing is also being damaged as well as your health.

I would ask your employer to move you to alternative work that does not require you to be with active smokers. If they refuse then it would be grounds for 'constructive dismissal' proceedings against them.

• ...Show all comments
    • As Mad As Birds
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

I work in a similar facility and this comes up ALL THE TIME. I've never seen someone successfully get out of being around the patients when they've been hired to be around the patients. Some move on to more suitable environments for their sensitivities. I take magnesium and Excedrin.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

There is NO way that a doctor would be able to give you a "note" that would exclude you from being around cigarette smoke or second-hand smoke. Such a note is not possible. You would have to "exclude" yourself from ever going out in public.

Your present job requires that one of your official duties is that you accompany patients when they go outside to smoke, and that you remain with them while they're outside, smoking. If your health is such that you can't be around cigarette smoke, then you're going to have to start looking for a new place of employment..

An employer is required to provide "reasonable accommodation" for his employees, but he's not required to continue to employ you if you can't do the job you were hired to do and are expected to do.

• LP7
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

The job is not worth it if you have these kinds of health issues.Raise it with your supervisor.Or leave when you find another job.

• 9 months ago

That would not be considered a "reasonable" accommodation for your line of work. Change jobs, or see a neurologist about better managing your migraines.

• ...Show all comments
    • As Mad As Birds
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Uncontrolled seizures can also turn you into a zombie and/or cause death. All medications have a risk verses benefit to consider. Even water can kill you if you drink too much of it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

No, you need to change jobs, you are not able to do the work with a problem like that.

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Maybe change jobs.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.