Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 10 months ago

How much should we tithe as a Christian when living paycheck to paycheck?

Young adult just getting started on my own here. So I'm currently making $13 an hour and after bills there is only about $150 leftover for gas and such, etc.etc. within the month. How do I figure how much I should be tithing as a Christian? If I give the 10% that the Bible tells us to, then there is not enough money left for all the bills, let alone gas money. The only debt within the bills comes from my house mortgage, so I'm not just foolishly spending money on credit, the job just pays very little while housing prices are very high. 😔 Is there anything in the Bible about how much poor people should tithe? Thanks for any help. 

This isn't a matter of what strangers think.  Tithing is 10% of your GROSS income.  It's not "Let's Make a Deal."

You post over and over about Christian.  Apparently that only applies when it's convenient for you.

Tithing is 10% of your gross - that s it. Nothing less. Where you give your tithe however, is another matter. No need to give it to your local church- give it to any worthy church. If your minister is riding around in a mercedes and wears $2,000 suits - tithe to another worthy church, but still go on Sunday.

I gave up tithing decades ago. The general Christian line is that God will supply your needs and enrich you and the money you have left over. {Sometimes this is just a psychological mind trick.} [There is something to be said about being more careful with the remaining 90% when you give God the first 10% but the same thing can be said about savers who pay themselves 10% first.] So skip tithing, and just give what you can afford as a gift.

• ron h

the "prosperity gospel" says you'll get your 10% back right away.   Answers here won't answer your question. I won't even try b/c I'm kind of a heathen. 

The DEFINITION of tithe is 10%.

To whoever gave the thumbs down. Tithe IS literally DEFINED as 10%. It can be argued if a tithe is required, but anything else IS NOT a tithe.

• Maxi

If you are living pay check to pay check you do not have the income to give money away......... give your time instead!

• B

take $20 out of everypaycheck to tithe and resolve that when the income increases, this will go up to double ($40)

• Tavy

Nothing, Churches are rich, they own property and land. The Bible was written thousands of years ago in a different age. Who is spending your tithe money and on what? have you asked a Minister?

The Bible does not tell us to tithe! God is not sending you a bill every month to pay up or feel guilty!

Tithing was for Israel in the Old Testament times and was because God was the government ( a theocracy ) and the priests and their work and everything else had to be paid for. So Israel paying their 10% was like we pay taxes to the government.

The Bible tells us to give as we have purposed in our heart. So do that, 1% or 10% or 100% or nothing at all. As you have purposed in your heart, that is the only thing God is interested in and God doesn't need the money that He gave you in the first place. He wants your heart ("Love God with your whole heart..." and "where your treasure is there your heart will be also").

The passage that leaps out at me is Jesus's commentary on the widow's mite in Mark 12. But, be sure to read its Wikipedia page for context.

You seem to assume that the only contribution you can make is money. Has it occurred to you that time and energy are valuable commodities that are often more plentiful among young single adults?

• Ambistoma

Well, Steven, you sure convinced me. But for the others, perhaps you could give a more detailed explanation?

• Dv8s

10%. .