Why does the truth hurt?... could it be that some common beliefs are wrong?

We all exclude some truth from the circles of our comfort in the Venn diagram of Truth. It hurts to be faced with those things. We become uncomfortable, sometimes even violently so.

Of course many common beliefs are wrong. There is no Trinity, only the Godhead. There is no salvation by grace alone. Faith without works is dead, and so are we.

Reality doesn't owe us pleasure or comfort. Our universe is apathetic to our wishes, wants and comforts. So it is inevitable that there will be times when facts about reality - truth - won't conform to our wishes, wants and comforts.

Religions, on the other hand, all seem intent on selling their followers comforting narratives of future eternal bliss. This is an important red flag that should get people wondering if their religion really is true. If it sounds too good to be true . . .

• Nous

MOM: "Does my butt look big in this?"

YOU: "It looks big whatever you wear!"

That is why people tell little white lies. If they did not there would be open warfare!!!!!!

"And it shall come to pass, that like as I have watched over them, to pluck up, and to break down, and to throw down, and to destroy, and to afflict; so will I watch over them, to build, and to plant, saith the Lord" (Jeremiah 31:28).

1 "The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;

3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.

4 And they shall build the old wastes, they shall raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations.

5 And strangers shall stand and feed your flocks, and the sons of the alien shall be your plowmen and your vinedressers.

6 But ye shall be named the Priests of the Lord: men shall call you the Ministers of our God: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves.

7 For your shame ye shall have double; and for confusion they shall rejoice in their portion: therefore in their land they shall possess the double: everlasting joy shall be unto them.

8 For I the Lord love judgment, I hate robbery for burnt offering; and I will direct their work in truth, and I will make an everlasting covenant with them.

9 And their seed shall be known among the Gentiles, and their offspring among the people: all that see them shall acknowledge them, that they are the seed which the Lord hath blessed.

10 I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.

11 For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the garden causeth the things that are sown in it to spring forth; so the Lord God will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations" (Isaiah 61)!

Thank you Jesus (Matthew 11:25)!

Love hurts, because love is costly.

Truth hurts, because truth is costly.

Truth that exposes a cherished belief as being wrong hurts due to the person's need to change their views and probably how they live, too. As John Kenneth Galbraith put it: "Faced with having to change our views or prove that there is no need to do so, most of us immediately get busy on the proof."

However, ponder this quote by C.S. Lewis: "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair."

Those who only 'like' that which comforts them will be hurt the most by truth that exposes their self-centered approach. But when God's truth is the center of our personal little life, we can then enter into a loving relationship with our Maker. His truth will hurt, because it will expose our pride and self-centerdness, which is sin, but God's truth is healing balm to those who see in His truth, His love.

Ksodododosossoapspdpdfgg

The truth hurts .....

because no "christian" will ever be proof of what they believe in.

Dv8s nailed it...also, all of us learn truths that hurt, but they are almost always for the better in the long run.

• Dv8s

Because of the letters, h, u, r, t, are in the word truth, making hurt a part of truth. 

Jesus IS the truth and he's not wrong.