Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 10 months ago

Do you think it's rude when people ask "when are you having kids?

Married 2 years now. Late 20's. My wife and I get asked this by basically all our family and friends and even coworkers. We are not having kids but it doesn't really make a difference if we were having them. I respect others privacy and decisions therefore I have never asked this question to anyone as I feel it's rude and none of my business. The reason I feel it's rude is that some couples are not able to have kids for medical reasons and it can be humiliating/embarrassing or simply hard to talk about it they have to explain it. Or they just don't want to share their reasons for having/not having kids. Do you think it's rude?

Yes, other people's family planning is no one's business but their own.

I tell them it isn't their f*cking business

Yes, it’s rude but not intentionally rude. They have kids and figure that everyone should. Just come up with a clever or shocking comeback (“I already had 2- I can’t remember who I had them with”) and they’ll stop.

• GEEGEE

It's definitely intrusive. It might be a physical issue that's preventing a pregnancy and that certainly would not be open to discussion.

When people date for a long time, people ask: When are you getting engaged?

Once engaged, people ask: When are you getting married?

Once married, people ask: When are you buying a house? and When are you having children?

So, you see, it is just a seemingly natural question people ask. Like, if you were in college, you might be asked: When are you graduating?

I suppose if one is offended by the question: When are you having children? They may think it was a rude question, while other people may not be offended whatsoever.

When people ask me questions that I do not want to answer, I tend to use humor as an answer as not to be rude, but not to answer the question, either.

For instance: When someone asks "How much did you pay for that?" I typically say "oh, somewhere between $3.99 and $900.00." LOL

yes, its rude and you should tell them its none of their business

• Lita

Yes, it's rude and it's no one else's business when or even if you and your spouse decide to have children.

• TedEx

To have or not have kids is a very personal decision, and is no one else's business. Anyone who asks is totally out of line,

Nah, not really. They mean well.

it is very annoying and people have no business asking questions like that. Unfortunately, in my family (my mom's relatives), the people have those characters. It is because they have a low self esteem and try to make other people look bad.

Source(s): experience