Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 10 months ago

How can I get my parents to trust me?

Hi I m 13 years old (I will be 14 in February), and I have developed an interest in firearms and I think it would be fun for me to learn gun safety and shoot at targets, (I have no interest in going hunting for animals.) I am also a female and all adults think that girls and some boys MY AGE are weak little babies that can t do anything. How can I convince my parents to let me go shoot targets and are their any gun safety classes for kids my age? I really hate being 13 and not being allowed to do anything. I have not been actually out of the house or to a friend s house since the third grade! My parents are very strict, I am not in trouble right now, but I do get into trouble often for little things! I am grateful, but I don t get to have fun or do things that other kids are allowed to do. How can I convince my parents that I just want to go shooting, and I am NOT planning to shoot up a school, lol.

Sweetie, unless a miracle happens, you won't be permitted to learn to shoot until you're 21, and even then, there will be restrictions on what you can and can't do. Guns aren't toys. They're deadly weapons, and too many centuries of technology went into making them what they are. And the statistics concerning unintentional gun fatalities involving kids your age are appalling, they really are. Try going online sometime and googling "children and gun accidents". You'll get an eyeful, believe me.

I wish that the US was more like Britain when it comes to the issue of gun ownership. In the UK, the only people who can even own or use guns are members of the police (and even THEY have to be above a certain rank, usually Inspector or Detective) and the military. Ordinary citizens are forbidden to own guns or use them, and there are heavy fines and jail time for those who violate the laws there. If the US didn't have the Second Amendment (which incidentally was written for a completely DIFFERENT purpose than the one that the NRA uses it for) we wouldn't have many of the issues we do with shootings.

• Archer

If your school does not have a "Marksmanship" program then suggest they start one. If your parents are "anti" gunners you have a long road ahead of you. Parents should not promote their ignorance in the lives of their children.

• Edna

Many kids (male and female) who live in the country on farms and ranches are shooting .22 rifles before they're 10 years old; and they're quite good shots too. Their parents began teaching them gun safety and how to shoot well before they were 10 years old. They use their .22 rifles to shoot coyotes that are threatening the livestock. They don't use them for target shooting or shooting at cans.

I see nothing wrong with a 13-year-old learning to shoot. But, I see two problems you face right now; and it all depends on your parents and what they are willing to do..

(1) If your parents never let you out of the house, then how are you going to get to a gun range to practice shooting? Parents have to accompany a young person to a gun range, or else the young person won't be allowed to shoot. At your age, you can't just "show up" at a gun range by yourself.

(2) If your parents don't want you to learn to shoot and aren't willing to buy a gun that you can use, where are you going to get the money to buy a gun and the ammunition? You can't "rent" a gun and ammo at a gun range - you have to use your own gun and ammo.

The gun is YOUR responsibility. After you finish shooting, you have to make absolutely sure it's unloaded. Then, you have to take it apart, clean it, oil it, and put it back together and put it away (unloaded) in a safe location. That's something else you'll have to learn, before you'll be "trusted" with a gun.

Until you stated that you have not been out of the house since the third grade, I actually believed you were telling the truth. If you are going to be a troll, you had best improve your content.

You can't

They don't want you to have or use a fire arm so you need to drop it and wait until you are older.

Your parents are right in this case. Its illegal for a minor to use a gun, period. You need a license to use a firearm and most shooting ranges will not allow a person under 18 to participate. If you want to shoot at targets, take up archery (bows and arrows). That's about all you can do at this age.

• Starlight 1

That's not completely accurate, because there are many states down south where kids are permitted to hunt and enter shooting contests, and the minimum age for a lot of them is 16, not 18 or 21. Some of the Midwestern states also permit kids to hunt as well.

How do we know? You dont state where you live or if theres such a place near to you. If your parent have that kind of disposable income or you receive pocket money. Just a load of waffle. Why can't you ask them like a normal person?

It's not really one of those things you can try to convince, its either they will let you or they won't. I'd just ask to go shoot a couple targets at the range, just say it's something you feel you have an interest in and if they say no, they could think about it and eventually take you, or not.