Funny tax question: Moving from the state of Hawaii to a state in the Midwest. Can something to do with taxes force me to return to Hawaii?

This question comes from being overly cautious, paranoid really, but I'm abandoning my domicile in Hawaii and immediately establishing one in another state in the mainland (because I wish to never return to Hawaii). I have H&R Block always process my simple income taxes. When I get to an H&R in the mainland come next year, how does state income tax work if I'll have worked in two different states this year..? Will the IRS force me to physically return to Hawaii to pay my income tax?

7 Answers

  • 1 year ago
    Favourite answer

    You don't even have to physically be in the US to pay taxes. If Hawaii has a state income tax, you will have to file a return for the last year you spent any portion of as a resident. You will also have to file a return for your new state of residence if applicable.

  • 1 year ago

    No. Of course not. Checks can be mailed.

  • 1 year ago

    You do not have to return to Hawaii unless you get extradited.

  • 1 year ago

    You will not have to return to HI. The IRS is federal, they do not care what state you are in. You can file from anywhere, you don't even have to be in the US.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 year ago

    No, they won't force you to return to HI.

    However, you are required to complete a partial year state of HI tax return.

    And you will complete a partial year midwest tax return.

    the state of HI has a specific form for partial year residents (same form as non-residents)

  • 1 year ago

    You can file your taxes while you are in any state, or even physically in a foreign country. You will not have to return.

  • 1 year ago

    As long as you pay state taxes on money you made in Hawaii to Hawaii there is no reason for you to have to go back.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.