promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What is the proper word for this phrase?

You know when someone is really REALLY good at something, you say "wow you really have a ____ for this"? For example, if I want to be a detective I would say "I have a ____ for solving crimes". What s the word? I remember the phrase but not the word.

Another example is when someone is really good at painting and people tell them "you really have a _____ for art". Please help me find the word.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

Most people who are 'good' at something, have a 'talent' for that something. You can also use knack, proficiency or propensity. Often, when being proficient at something seems to come naturally to someone, we may say that the person has an 'instinct' for it, or is 'instinctively' adept at detective work, or any of the other sample sentences you used as examples..

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

knack, as in innate ability, a talent that you just have because of luck in being born the way you are. Comes to you easily, when for most of us it takes a heck of a lot of effort.

• John P
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Flair and talent.

• SumDude
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Fine, but Gypsyfish had not mentioned it and it does serve to start a thread in a thesaurus

• 8 months ago

Knack, or penchant

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

knack..............

• John P
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Knack is a bit feeble in the context of being really good at something.

• 8 months ago

talent, gift, genius, skill, propensity, penchant

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.