What is the proper word for this phrase?

You know when someone is really REALLY good at something, you say "wow you really have a ____ for this"? For example, if I want to be a detective I would say "I have a ____ for solving crimes". What s the word? I remember the phrase but not the word.

Another example is when someone is really good at painting and people tell them "you really have a _____ for art". Please help me find the word.

Most people who are 'good' at something, have a 'talent' for that something. You can also use knack, proficiency or propensity. Often, when being proficient at something seems to come naturally to someone, we may say that the person has an 'instinct' for it, or is 'instinctively' adept at detective work, or any of the other sample sentences you used as examples..

knack, as in innate ability, a talent that you just have because of luck in being born the way you are. Comes to you easily, when for most of us it takes a heck of a lot of effort.

• John P

Flair and talent.

• SumDude

Fine, but Gypsyfish had not mentioned it and it does serve to start a thread in a thesaurus

Knack, or penchant

knack..............

• John P

Knack is a bit feeble in the context of being really good at something.

talent, gift, genius, skill, propensity, penchant