Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 8 months ago

How do I deal with rude patients without getting fired?

So I work at physical therapy and I’ve been called fat and they’ve told me to “lose weight” ( patients not coworkers). I don’t know what to say because I get so angry I want to punch them in the face and scream and cry. But I also don’t want them to talk to my supervisor calling me rude. 1 because I’d get fired 2 because then my coworkers will all hear about it and feel sorry for me. Which is not what I want

You say something like, "My weight doesn't interfere with my providing this professional service you you."

• Ann

I cannot imagine a patient being so rude as to call attention to a therapist's body. If a particular patient is doing this more than once, tell the person that you are going to report him/her to your supervisor for sexual harassment, and that you won't be working with him/her any longer since you've been harassed. (Now, being called "fat" isn't really sexual in nature, but if you say that and you do make the report, then that person will be banned from the therapy clinic). It has, in fact, called attention to your body and made you feel uncomfortable. However, getting angry and striking out physically would indeed get you fired and blacklisted from other therapy clinics.

Just say what you said is very rude, i'm gonna let it pass this time, but if you say it to me again I will have assign u a new person to treat u, a new one!

• GEEGEE

Ignore them. Perhaps they are taking their stress out on you. Not appropriate, but people have fears and anxieties, and sometimes they react negatively.

Troll hears troll fire and arrow

tell your manager , they might tell them they cant come anymore if theyre going to do that

• drip

Why not talk to your boss about how to handle them.

• Blearg

I think it was in the book Fat! So? By Marilyn Wann that I read some pretty satisfying comebacks of various levels of rudeness or matter-of-factness. That might be worth buying or finding at a local library, if for the solidarity and nothing else.

"I suggest you focus on your own body while you're here" might be a good go-to.

Part of what has helped me to deal with situations I have often found overwhelming in the past is to make a canned response and practice using it. I had an extremely annoying stepfather who would criticise everything. Having an automatic response made it easier and easier to essentially ignore him, while not giving the silent treatment or lashing out in a way that would get me in trouble.

I hope you find a solution that helps you deal with this. It's awful that we live on a society that is so fatphobic.

• Murzy

tell them you have a medical condition

it is a job, don't take it personal. and lose some weight, ffs