Julie asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Should I try to inherit grandparents house in the future..?

If they give it to me of course.. Everyone else in family is moving far away but I have no desire.

Mom left dad when we were kids, then used dads parents for free babysitting so we grew up in this house. I had stuff most kids my age didnt, phone on the wall w/ cord, etc. We always played outside & climbed huge trees. Dad was homeless and lived w his parents for like 6 years so we were living here almost full time then, and mom moved constantly so this was one consistent home of my childhood. As teenager tons of family drama, but grandparents house was still the one place I could escape all the drama. Now I’m 20, gpa had a medical scare not too long ago and I’ve been thinking once they’re gone, since gpa built that house from scratch 45 yrs ago I cant imagine any other family living there... Had a talk w dad recently about in america we just tear everything down to build new stuff constantly, so we don’t have historical places like rest of the world, and I don’t want this house to be one of the things torn down for someone to build a mansion... I live w dad, trying to save up for a place, & still miss that house & go often to see them and I always feel better. What scares me is taking on this house and not knowing how I’ll feel, if I’ll still want it when they’re gone, if it will feel empty like I’ve heard others say or will I feel glad to have a home like no other... I’m mostly a planner though, should I look into getting this house when the time does come, or move on...?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

UPDATE**** My dad has already said he doesnt want the house, bc he doesnt wanna have to go thru all of their things when they pass... And his brothers and sisters all own land and have built their own houses by now so I doubt they’ll want this tiny house... And again the main reason I “want” this house is because I’ve lived my entire life having a house I can go to and call my own, and it scares me with the thought of another family living in the house my grandfather built, that I can no longer go to... This house has been the one consistent thing in my entire life, all friends coming and going, friends and family that have died, mom leaving me for “vacation” all the time, this house gives me emotional stability when I’m in it and I don’t know if I can let it go but I’m also afraid I may feel different when my grandparents are no longer here...

And I see grandparents regularly, gma loves to talk with me and gpa teaches me things like oil changes, and they want me to come more.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

you can try and do that

• Suzy Q
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

That's what you're worried about? How you will feel when you have gotten a huge chunk of this inheritance?

Your childhood stories are very touching and all, but the only reason I see for you inheriting this house (for which both your grandparents would have to DIE while still owning it) is that you want it. And you don't give any real reason why they should pass over your dad (the guy who is keeping a roof over your head, remember?) and any other children they may have. 

How does one 'look into' inheriting something anyway? Especially inheriting instead of someone's actual children? What are you willing to do just to weasel your way into their wills? 

• 2 months ago

"Inherit" means you don't plan on purchasing the home. Most elderly people who give up their home.. need to sell it in order to finance elder care. If they do "leave it to you"... and it hasn't been maintained and kept in good repair... do you have a way to finance that? Houses can fall down around your ears and be very costly. Can you prepare yourself for that?

Why would you cut your Dad out of his inheritance and try to get it for yourself?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • In
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

The whole issue is irrelevant if they have not left it to you in their will.

• 2 months ago

Yes of course you should

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.