Bee asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 5 months ago

Is it normal to feel guilty about missing a swim practice?

This week i have had a total of 13 hours of sleep and need more but I'm scared my coach is gonna yell at me for skipping. And not to mention My best friend is gonna be the only one there that my age everyone else there is in high school (we are both 13) I'm scared and i feel that it's unnecessary to skip practice just to get sleep. I'm not ill but i have just gotten barely any sleep. Another reason that I feel guilty about skipping practice is because my guy-friend gives me grief and i just feel rally guilty about skipping practice. so guilty that i start crying should i be crying and feeling guilty about missing a swim practice? And should I mention it's the FIRST WEEK OF SWIM?

Don't worry about that. If your body is not in good condition, swimming may cause strain on your muscles. Your coach said practice because it is for people to stop making excuses.

It's good to practice. You just have to put away all the thoughts and heaviness of heart and place hours to focus on your swim, it is beneficial for your mind when it is clear, and exercise helps repair your body.

• Suzy Q

And WHY have you only gotten 13 hours of sleep all week? Are you forced to work in a sweat shop until 4AM every day after school? Somehow I doubt it.

You feel guilty about skipping swim practice because you ARE guilty. The responsible thing to do would have been to make sure you got enough sleep to be able to honour commitments like swim practice. 

Listen, during our lives we all do things like this. Stay up to long, when we're a little older than you perhaps party too hard. And next morning we feel like hell. But you know what you should do when that happens? You suck it up, you show up where you're supposed to be and you do what you're supposed to do. And after you get through the day, when you fall exhausted into your bed, you tell yourself not to be so stupid again. 

• Hannah

Get some more sleep? Go to bed earlier the day before swim practice.