Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Is a 16-17 year old old enough to make basic decisions regarding issues such as study habits and what clothes they wear?

They'd better be old enough to decide what to wear, for sure. Considering that in another year or two they'll be legal adults and either off to college or entering the workplace. Studying is a kid's job, at least until they become adults. And the sooner kids learn to treat it like a job, the better. Time management is a skill they will need and use their entire lives.

Yes, it is their life. If they want to be drop out hoes they can.

What religion? Islam allows ten year olds to do these things. Education is up to the individual.

By those ages, our girls were well able to make appropriate decisions about what to wear, and owned their study habits and grades.

if a 17 year old can choose what clothes they wear I’m afraid you gave birth to a tard

some can.....................

Do you mean there should be no rules - wrong.

There must be some level of parental guidance and parental control.

The average teenager doesn't make good choices.  (there are exceptions and each parent can decide what level of rules and guidance their teen needs)

• But 16-17 IS more than old enough to make your own decisions about basic things like what clothes you wear, and if you disagree, you’re wrong and retarded.

It depends on the 16-17 year old.  If I had a kid that age, I'd hope he/she was mature and stable enough to make his/her own decisions about such things.  I would think most kids that age are mature enough.  But you know, some aren't!

Yes. I feel as they can and will make those such decisions and you should let them try for themselves.

• Tomalochk

They could possibly get it wrong though and then what ?

• Kyle

i would hope so. if they want to pass high school and go to college.