anyone else rarely make french toast because vanilla extract and cinamon are so expensive?

I just go to the waffle house or ihop and call it good

Favorite Answer

What about using other spices or flavorings, such as orange juice, honey, syrup, etc

I mean... a bottle of vanilla and a bottle of cinnamon last 1-2 years. It's a house hold staple. It's expensive to buy new every time, but you don't.

Egg & toast separately are about equal

.....................................

• Janet

I never use vanilla nor cinnamon when I make French toast. And I LIKE my French toast. My husband once made French toast with vanilla ... and you could not taste the vanilla in it.

• C

Errr, no.... French toast is a cheap luxury. It's true vanilla is more expensive this year due to bad weather in vanilla growing regions, but not only does little go a long way, but vanillin isn't the devil if you're hard up. It's literally the same chemical compound extracted from a different source (wood if you're interested). There's absolutely no reason why you HAVE to buy whole beans at all. Not only that, but you don't have to use vanilla to make decent French toast. I never do. I'm struggling to understand where cinnamon is expensive. How much must you use! I love cinnamon but even when I was hard up it was one thing I never had to ration myself. A standard supermarket jar would last a few months. If you can't buy it cheap locally and you use a lot buy a big amount from amazon. Just make sure it's true cinnamon and not cassia bark which can go a little bitter in sweet dishes.

It sounds more like you're trying to justify going to IHOP. Just be honest with yourself that you prefer that experience to making french toast and eating it at home.

Neither of those things are very expensive

• hamel5

I like the Waffle House , but making it yourself is still cheaper. You can skip the vanilla - don't think that they use the real stuff at Waffle House.

I make it frequently, but leave out the cinnamon