promotion image of download ymail app
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 9 months ago

Can I get my grandmother a visa?

My grandmother just had a scare and I'm afraid that she doesn't have much time left in this world. She lives in Mexico and she's never been to the U.S. Unfortunately, I'm not able to travel over there to see her because I own a business and I have no back up to cover while I'm gone. I'm afraid I'll lose a great deal of business if I'm gone. My wife and 3 kids depend on me and our business. I know she doesn't have much time left and I just want her to spend her last few in a comfortable environment with her family that she hasn't seen in 15 years. She won't be a burden to the country. I make enough money to support us. I own a house with 2 extra bedrooms and I can cover medical costs if necessary. She lives by herself most of the time and I'm afraid for her. One of my uncle's lives with her but he's in Japan at the moment for work. Is there any way I can get her to us so that we can care for her?

5 Answers

  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

    No. She has ties to the US - you. That makes her ineligible for a tourist visa. Plus she will need medical attention. Can you really afford that?

    Your wife and children can mind the business while you go to Mexico.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

    There is nothing you can do to help your grandmother come to US. For a tourist visa, she must apply on her own merits, proving she has sufficient funds of her own for all typical tourist expenses, and that her ties to her own country compel her to return home timely. But her ties, her relatives, are in the US.

    You cannot petition for a grandparent's immigration. IF your grandmother has a son or daughter who is a US citizen, and who earns enough to guarantee her support (including health insurance & all health care) for the rest of her life, they can file a petition for her. But not you. Her health issues could be a bar to her immigration, and she could very well be denied immigration on that basis.

    You & other members of your family chose to break up your family & leave her behind. Now one of you go to her, or your uncle returns & takes care of her. But it is highly unlikely she can qualify to immigrate to US, and she will not qualify for a tourist visa.

    Another consideration: for older people, especially those with health issues, relocating to another country is extremely stressful, and that stress can be deadly. It has happened many times that someone has sponsored an aged parent's immigration, even those with no apparent health issues, and they have had a major stroke or heart attack within days or weeks of arriving in the foreign country with their relatives. Trying to relocate your grandmother could be her death sentence. You need to figure out how someone can go to her & care for her in her familiar home, country, culture.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

    No, you cannot "get" her a visa. She can apply for a visitor visa, which she has to do on her own merits.

    If your US citizen parent who is her child is alive > they < can sponsor her for immigration. It appears the wait time is 6 to 9 months. If your parent who is her child is alive then talk to an immigration attorney who can offer valid advice after learning all of the circumstances.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago


    She can apply for a visitor's visa, the B2, but given her situation, family and health wise, it's unlikely that she will get it. You'll have to decide what's more important to you: seeing your grandmother one more time before she dies or making money.

    Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

    You can petition to get her in, but Trump is trying to end chain migration. You really need to consult an immigration lawyer to find out the possibilities.

    • W.T. Door
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

      Can't petition grandparents.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.