Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 9 months ago

I want a dog so badly, and my mom will not let me get it?

I've been begging for a dog my whole life. There are 6 people in my family total. Me and everyone else in my family would be okay with a dog. My mom is the only one against the idea. I'm 24 years old now, I've finished schooling, I have a stable job that would allow me to afford a pet, I am responsible. I feel that everyone in my family would benefit from a dog. Dogs promote happiness and health! Something my whole family could use right now. My mothers excuse for not getting a dog is that is a liability for our family business, an in-home day care. I see her point but I don't plan on getting a big dog nor a rowdy or dangerous one. Also, our house is big enough that we could easily keep the dog out of the business area if she wishes. I'm thinking of just going behind her back and getting one, but I think the betrayal would make his disown me lol and her exact words were "if you bring a dog home I will make it disappear". Is the joy of a dog worth the risk of angering my mother?

None of you live in California, huh? lol

Also, cannot move out due to cultural reasons. Parents are Asian.

• P

You are not a child! You are 24! If you live with your mom then you have to abide by her rules regardless of your age. If you get a place of your own then you may be able to get your own dog according to the place where you live and the landlords rules!

• Nathan

if you are living with your family, then do not get a dog. You will only have to regime it. You need to show her that you have saved at least £/$500 for vet bills, and £/$200 for the basic necessities to start off with. Showing her you have done research and have enough time for it can persuade her

• Anna

The mother has a home day care business. Her insurance probably doesn't cover dogs plus if a dog bit one of the children at her business she would be sued and lose her business and livelihood. The asker should NOT risk her livelihood by bringing home a dog.

If you want a dog move out.

It's disrespectful to go behind her back, it's her house if she doesn't want a pet she's allowed that privilege.

At 24 you need to be in your own place where you can do what you want to do. But there are not a lot of apartments that allow pets. So you would have a had time finding a place to live with your dog.

I would not mix dog & daycare, no, don't do that. If one of those children got bit, your family could lose everything they own. A dog biting a child in daycare would make headlines & your mom would be in lots of trouble.

Then wait til your old and established enough and buy one of your own

Get your own house and adopt a dog there, genius.

• Eva

Wait until you move out to get a dog. You could not allow the dog to be around the children, no matter how well behaved it might be. Her insurance company may forbid it as well.

You are 24. Get YOUR OWN PLACE. Then you can have a dog.

Cant afford your own place? Then you CAN'T afford a dog.

You are an adult with a job.

Your mother is now also your landlord (presuming you pay rent).

Your landlord says no dogs.

If you want a dog, move to somewhere they are allowed.

Here’s a novel idea for you. Move out and get your own place then you can get any kind of dogs that you want. 

Dogs are pet. They can turn on you in a split second no matter how sweet it is.