promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is Gin and tonic a British thing?

Britain is a very multinational place and it just seems all my pure blooded British lol friends like gin whilst my EU buddies don't like gin at all. Not sure if it's just a person to person thing or would countries like a gin and tonic

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago
    Favourite answer

Think of gin being a variation of schnapps or vodka. Schnapps or vodka are basically fast-brewed and distilled alcohol from easily available vegetation, just like "pure" gin is -- stuff you could make in the bathtub. Gin was the form most often produced in Britain (especially England -- the Scots, Irish and Welsh tended more to forms of whisky).

Most Europeans think of gin as being close to poisonous (the very cheap "moonshine" tended to have a largish level of methanol, or "wood" alcohol, so they preferred their schnapps and vodkas.

• 9 months ago

Of course Britain is multinational. It's made up of more than one nation.

I have no idea what is meant by "pure blooded British lol friends".

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

The drink is a particular phenomenon as its taste is quite different from the taste of its constituent liquids which are rather bitter. The chemical structures of both ingredients are of a similar molecular shape and attract each other, shielding the bitter taste

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

It's a drink liked by some, but not the general public. Beer is number one for commoners.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.