Senior citizens: What are the circumstances under which you would move elsewhere for the final time in your life?

My siblings and I were born in San Francisco during the 1940's and 1950's.

My sister has lived most of her adult life in a rural area. My sister recently returned to live in San Francisco, because of less travel time to access medical services and to keep medical appointments

I'm at that point. At 83 yo, I am working up to moving into a retirement home. But not quite yet.

I am still living in my home of 24 years. I have been alone since 2017 when my wife died. One of the prime motivators for moving would be if I found that I had become lonesome. But that hasn't happened yet.

My neighbors are quite convivial and I see them almost daily. And we share dinners now and then; and one of my neighbors, also a bachelor, and I go to brunch each month somewhere. Today a wife of one of my college classmates came over to visit and have lunch.

So my social life is still good. And my health remains excellent. So there is no reason to leave my house...yet.

But if my health turned bad; so I could not maintain my house or I did get lonesome, I would downsize and move to a first-rate retirement home.

As we rent, clearly the only circumstances for moving would be if we lost this rental property which could happen AT ANY TIME - and then whether we could possibly find alternative affordable accommodation where we currently live which looks unlikely unless we settle for a garage.

Out of choice (hah), I'd live in the country but as we age, it becomes more relevant to be within reasonable distance of a HOSPITAL.

• Judith

There aren't any - other than senior housing or assisted living. I will stay in this city because 3 of my sisters live here along with several nieces and nephews. It's home.

• Flower

I spent some early years in San Francisco and I am about 30 minutes from the city now but I would prefer not to be but not having children or grandchildren anywhere, I have no idea where to go. It is too hot to move to the interior of California and without knowing anyone, it is difficult to go anywhere.

I'm 76 and last moved when I was 33. I'm staying put. Moving house is a nightmare, especially when moving a great distance. If I, absolutely, have to move again it will either be to live with one of my children or to a care home and I'd prefer to leave the planet before having to do either.

If I woke up and found myself in San Francisco I would start making plans to move as soon as I could stop vomiting.

I lived in Texas all my life and am planning on moving to the New Mexico mountains in the coming years because Texas climate sucks!

• drip

My mom moved to her small hometown, 3 states away. To be with her siblings (many extended family there) and cheaper cost of living. Huge mistake. We couldn’t talk her out of it, She was too use to suburban living. Having lots of shopping and doctors everywhere. Her siblings are younger than her but she don't seem to realize they are old now too. They visit her, but don’t have the time to run her everywhere, her eyesight is getting worse and she doesn’t drive much.

I moved to a Rural area when I retired to get away from the rat race of the City (Sydney) and because 2 of my Daughters live there, it's still close to good medical facilities and a large hospital.

I have found my real home, I would never move anywhere else.

I would move to anywhere people do not call me a "senior citizen". That is a patronising euphemism that should have been strangled at birth. I moved from the city to the country when I retired  because it is more affordable and quieter.

• Terry3 months agoReport

How about decrepit old fart? Is that better?