promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Gag Me
Lv 7
Gag Me asked in PetsCats · 9 months ago

How do I get the mats out of my cats fur when brushing didn't work?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    9 months ago
    Favourite answer

By using a comb, starting at the end of the knot and working towards the root and if you have allowed it to get very matted then it needs shaving and reguarly grooming to stop it happening again

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Never use a brush on a longhair cat. You should be using a small and medium toothed comb only. If the mats are too bad, then you may need to take the cat to a groomer this time to be shaved down. Then as the coat is growing in, COMB the cat daily to prevent mats from forming again.

• 9 months ago

You should NEVER brush a cat's coat. Brushes do nothing to get to the loose undercoat hairs - which are the ones that shed. They also pull out and break the topcoat hairs.

You should be using a COMB on this cat. But if it's already matted you will need to clip the mats out. Take your cat to a vet or a groomer experienced in cats. Why didn't you keep up with grooming the cat so it didn't get matted? If this is a longhaired cat you need to be combing the coat out completely at LEAST once a week. More if it has a thick coat like that of a Persian.

• 9 months ago

Try a comb. If that doesn't work you can put the comb under the mat and cut right above the comb so you don't cut the skin. If you cant get a comb under the mats then you will need to use a clippers.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • k w
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

there's a brush glove they sell it on.......' as seen on tv '

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

you may have to use a scissor to cut them out

• 9 months ago

Get a fur rake and use it gently because those mats are going to hurt.  Get a small pair of scissors and cut the mat perpendicular to the mats (not along the skin, and careful not to poke the cat) and gentle rake or pull out the matted parts.  If that doesn't accomplish the job, shave the mats.  

• Wizard of ID9 months agoReport

Those fur rakes are painful for the animal.  Like your mom yanking a brush through your hair to get tangles out.

• 9 months ago

Don't brush the cat on the mat , ....take it outside on the yard and brush it .

• 9 months ago

Deep cleaning.......

• Wizard of ID9 months agoReport

Nope.  Water makes dreads tangle worse.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.