Have you ever had an oil leak in your car?? What did you do for it??? Thanks!!?

I want to know what you did if you had an oil leak in your car? answers will truly be appreciated.

• Edna

Yes, I've had an oil leak in my car. I wouldn't try to do anything about it myself. I would take the car to a mechanic and let him figure out what was causing the leak and let him repair it.

All of them except the current car.

I kept adding oil to it.

I have two Chronic leaks. One is rear mains; crank and transaxle must be removed to get  to it. My crank has a bad journal on #5 mains so it needs turning, anyway. The  sealing surface is scratched from trying to get  bits of old seal out. I will also glue a round, lip-type seal over the crank end. A pro wants $1800 to fix that One  seal--not even replace crank. .

My other  car is leaking  somewhere from bottom. Cant even see it. I have to use the fluorescent dye and lift engine 2" just to find where it's coming from. Might need new pan gasket, that's  the time to replace it, when I can Get to it. If rear mains bad, too, not Too hard to take transaxle off to replace it. Again, when motor partway out, then is the time to do it all once, right.

I don't believe in those snake oil fixers. Wont stop  broken gasket or burnt seal from leaking, and can clog up oil passages.

• Jay P

Sure. My first car had an oil leak the whole time I owned it. But it was quite small ( and I didn't have a lot of extra money ) so I didn't fix it. I did shampoo the engine a couple of times to wash away the excess oil which did accumulate over time.

I repaired the gasket or seal that was leaking.

You obviously have no clue how to diagnose oil leaks so take your ride to a mechanic.

Oil dripping on an exhaust manifold can cause a motor fire.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • P & W5 months agoReport

Sometimes Very Hard to  Get to the seal/gasket. May have to remove transmission/Motor.A wrench Like You wanted $1800 to replace One seal...

Ya, it is quite straightforward to ignore the small puddle of oil forming under the car. But the fact is, oil leak is something that an operative can't afford to ignore. It does not always take a competent car technician to figure out what causes an engine oil leak. A little hunting speed machine can reveal a lot. Ignoring a small issue can cause damage to the engine. If the leaks are left unchecked, then it can get on the seals and cause them to degrade permanently. Leaking oil can cause environmental hazards. It increases the possibility of a fire risk in the engine compartment. A leak of any kind should be spotted promptly. Fixing it timely will restore your vehicle's performance.

........replaced the failed gasket.

• Scott

Yes. I fixed it so it didn't leak anymore.

• Murzy

where is the leak? oil pan, engine, oil filter, etc

• L.N.

Yes I have. I repaired it.