Can a bed be too high from the floor? And what point does it look awkward?

With the bed frame's height in addition to the box spring and the mattress , can a bed be too high and look weird?

How many inches from the floor should the mattress be?

When I sit on the edge of the bed, I like my feet to reach the floor.

Back in the day, beds were high off of the floor for the sole purpose to be further away from the cold floor, as heat rises. It was common for a step stool to be next to the bed.

But, today, building materials and central heat make it so we no longer have to elevate our beds so they are as high as way back when.

Some older bed frames have side rails that were meant for box springs and mattresses that used to be about 10" high apiece. These days, mattresses are incredibly thick as they have toppers and are made differently. Therefore, an old bed frame may cause the new mattress and box springs to be higher.

If your bed is higher than most, you can install a duster skirt to camouflage the space under the bed, perhaps. It sure would make for some good extra storage space.

I like to be able to sit on the edge of the bed with my feet on the floor. It is just more practical.

It's awkward when people immediately picture you struggling to get up on it.

• Kenny

Yes, It looks awkward if it looks like the bottom bunk is gone

• ricky

Not so high that if you are kneeling on your bed, and raise your hand, that your hand doesn’t hit the ceiling fan. I’m just sayin.

It's personal preference. Some people even buy riser things to make a bed frame taller, for that genuine antique look. Basically, it might depend on leg length. If you have to leap to get out of bed, possibly spraining an ankle -- it is too tall.

Yes. It certainly looks awkward when there's an elephant hiding under the bed.

It sure can. My friend's bed is so high she needs a step stool to get into it.