Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 10 months ago

Laptop doesn't boot goes straight to BIOS screen.?

I don't see the option to boot from a hard drive. I have an SSD and hard drive installed and it doesn't see either. Does this mean they're both bad or is there something else?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

Hi. It sounds like they're just (very simply - not the expensive & difficult voltage or defective hardware problems) both configured to recognize as the primary harddrive on the system board, so the computer's BIOS can't see either one because they're both detecting as the primary.

Disconnect 1 drive then reboot & see if it detects correctly, then switch the drives & do the same for the other one.

If it sees both drives seprately they're both fine, but they need a jumper or other setting changed to work together. You should also look at where the motherboard cables are connected to the mainboard, You may have plugged the SATA drive into the primary socket, but the SSD defaults to the primary boot device, so it may sending that signal through the secondary data cable connection.

G'Luck!!!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Norm F
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Sounds like Bios is not running or not running very far.

Usual cause of this is RAM. If not RAM unfortunately is motherboard or CPU

• 10 months ago

The BIOS will not detect a hard disk if the data cable is damaged or the connection is incorrect. ... Be sure to check your SATA cables are tightly connected to the SATA port connection. The easiest way to test a cable is to replace it with another cable

• VP
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

What occurred BEFORE the symptom of "My laptop doesn't boot"?

- Any BIOS changes made?

- Did it ever boot up?

- Did you get it from someone and you're trying to make it work?

- Hardware or Software changes made?

- Make/Model of device?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Check that both SSD and HDD are in the BIOS then set which one to boot at startup.

• David
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

It would be unusual for both to be bad unless the laptop suffered a voltage spike or some other freak accident. It could be a fault on the motherboard

• 10 months ago

Oh I’m not too sure

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.