Can someone please help me with figuring out which decent portable external hard drives are 7200 rpm?

My university lecturer told us we need a 7200 rpm external hard drive with at least 1TB of storage. The one he suggested was an orange coloured Lacie. I've been searching online for ages but in the specs, most of time rpm is not mentioned. It's really frustrating.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I would get a small portable Sandisk SSD drive. They are so small you can actually put them on your key chain! I purchased 2 1TB drives and they are the best thing I've purchased in a long time! Walmart actually had the 500gb versions on clearance for 25 bucks! SMH I didn't know that before they were gone. Anyway...they are water and dust resistant, not to mention 10x faster than any mechanical HD.

Your lecturer is a bit behind the times :-) (S?)he should have specified the port type and possibly the required transfer speed - that is what hard drives are usually sorted by.

7200 rpm may give you faster search times and faster transfer times, but only if your port speed is up to it. Since you said you were using Macs - are those at least somewhat recent so they will support Thunderbolt, or are you restricted to USB? If USB, which type - 2.0 would be ubiquitous, but slow, 3.0/3.1 would be somewhat useable, USB 3.1 through a USB C connector would right now be the best for speed and versatility, thunderbolt might be faster, but rather limited.

The other side is, of course, about money. If that is not a major issue, I'd suggest you get a USB C 3.1 SSD - like a Samsung T5 or a Sandisk Extreme, around 170 bucks for 1 TB at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078STRHBX/

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Portable-SSD-MU-...

• Markus Imhof

You wanted a 7200 rpm drive, this is 5400. According to the data sheet, it'll give you ~a quarter of the transfer speed of a SSD. Apart from that, it's ok.

• Norm F

I really do not know why your lecturer says you need a 7200rpm drive as an external.

Drives are sold from Form Factor ie size. 2.5" as 5400RPM requiring only 5V to run and 3.5" as 7200RPM that require 5V and 12V to run. Therefore needing an extra PSU with them. IE not good as external portable drives.

The physical size difference is very noticeable

I do not think your lecturer knows what he/she is talking about..

Externals are for BACKUP storage. Overall speed for the platters spinning is NOT the bottleneck. It is the INTERFACE. If the interface is USB 2.0....it REALLY doesn't matter. USB 3.0/etc is also really not that fast. EIDE or eSATA can have fairly good throughput...and a 7200rpm drive might make a difference....but again FOR BACKUPS...who cares?

Spinning drives...SUCK esp if they get knocked around and carried a lot. I would recommend an SSD. Quiet and lightweight and don't they suck power from notebooks on battery.

Your other option is simple. MAKE ONE! Get an external case/power supply...and buy a SEPARATE drive and install it yourself. The cases can come with MULTIPLE interfaces...so you have flexibility. And you can choose whatever speed and SIZE of hard drive you want...a 10 TB if you really like!

• volcano9 months agoReport

They throw in 5400 rpm hard drives too. I could easily end up buying something unsuitable.

• Jim2
    • volcano9 months agoReport

Thanks for the response but I've tried those kinds of searches. They keep throwing in 5400 rpm hard drives along with the 7200 rpm ones.