Fighting with boyfriend of 1.5 years; is our problem resolvable or should we try to move on?

First off, let me say I would much rather talk to a professional couples therapist but I don't have the money for one rn. So he's my first boyfriend, my first love and I'm also his first everything. We're best friends and our first year was great together. Unfortunately this year it's turned... show more First off, let me say I would much rather talk to a professional couples therapist but I don't have the money for one rn. So he's my first boyfriend, my first love and I'm also his first everything. We're best friends and our first year was great together. Unfortunately this year it's turned into an on-again, off-again relationship. I'm very happy with him, he's the one that think we don't have enough in common.

He's constantly disappointed that I'm not interested in basketball, going to the gym, and video games, three of his favorite things. I understand he wants to share these things with me so I've done them with him a few times. He gets upset because he can tell that I'm not interested. But i try! I think that should count for something. And we do plenty of other fun things together. As a couple, we like to play chess, travel, and eat out. He says doing these things "only goes so far" in making him happy.

He's being narrow-minded by not accepting that I'm just not interested in those things, and by thinking that just because I'm not that means we are incompatible. I'm being narrow minded by refusing to put more effort into these interests of his. Part of me says, if I really wanted this relationship to work I would go ahead and try to play basketball and go to the gym and play video games with him. But I also don't understand why I have to if everything else is great.