promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is getting a disability insurance monthly from social security taxable? do I need to report that to my tax agent during tax season?

was just wondering.. I have so far never asked for it from social security. I am still young and healthy; still working. I found out I have some funds available and it will be given to me if I claim it in the event I became disabled.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago
    Favourite answer

If you are working and healthy, you aren't eligible for disability.

Almost everyone who works has some SSDI available to them.

In the event that you are eligible and begin receiving SSDI, it depends on how much you receive. There is a portion that is non-taxable but if you exceed this amount, then it is taxable.

- Since you aren't receiving anything now from SSDI, there is nothing to report to your tax person.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

Yes, it is taxable - it's income.

• 9 months ago

If your only income is SS disability it's not taxable & you can't get any benefits from it.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Not if it's your only income, and you are single or your spouse has no income. If you or a spouse has other income, it might be, depending on how much your total income is.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

Not if it is your only income.

• 9 months ago

If you receive a Form 1099-SSA from Social Security you need to provide it to whomever prepares your tax return.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.