Anonymous

Something seems off here with this job offer opinions?

I've applied to work with a specific company 4 different times. Each time I’ve received an interview but no offer. The HR manager called me one day and asked if I’d like to work part time for 10/hr 20/hr per week job to get my foot in the door. I told her I could not relocate 6 hours away for that low of pay.

Today out of the blue she called me with an offer without any type of interview. She told me the person in the department left without any type of written notice. She said they need someone there ASAP.

She told me they cannot offer me any type of relocation assistance and that they are in a crunch to fill the position.

I'm currently unemployed so I do need work however, I'm a little skeptical about all of this. She has yet to send me a job description or what my duties would entail , I have no idea about salary or benefits, when I asked about training her response was VERY vague.

I don't know if it's worth moving 6 hours away. I would like to work for the company HOWEVER it just seems like something is off to me with this offer. She told me to look online at similar positions (she gave me a job title) and that those positions would be similar to the work I’d be doing.

Thoughts on all of this?

Ask her what salary they will pay you.

Maybe keep your current home, but go there, stay in a motel there temporarily, and start working for them, before you decide whether to move or not.

• Pam

SOUNDS FISHY!! Do not make a major move to a job that may or may not exist! The fact that she didn't interview or meet you, no job description,no title, no salary are all red flags. The fact that someone left with no notice might be a sign that something is up with the employers and it's not a great place to work. The fact that they need someone ASAP is their problem, NOT YOURS. Most reputable businesses don't hire like that. Tell her you need something in writing and after that you'llneed 2 weeks (or whatever time) to relocate. They can't expect you to relocate overnight. get more information or it's no deal.

You interviewed how many times and you are questioning why they called out of the blue?? They clearly think you'd be a good candidate, perhaps a better one was available for those particular jobs...but they kept your resume and remembered your name.

As for relocating...if they aren't willing to disclose salary or benefits...I wouldn't even consider the move...

Why so skeptical? As you posted many times before this, you've interviewed with this company several times.  What additional information do you think they need?  Again, as you posted before, you've thought they liked you.  Now they have a crisis and are willing to give you a shot.

You don't actually have a job offer until you have a written offer that includes a job time and salary or hourly wage along with information about benefits.  It is your responsibility to ask for that and any other information you feel you need.  If you  can't get the answers to your questions, then it is your choice not to take the job.

The other thing you really need to look at is why are you apply to a position that require relocation if you aren't willing to relocate.  Very few companies offer relocation packages anymore, so that isn't a surprise.  Again, either you have the means and desire to make this jump to a company you keep claiming you want to work for -- or you are really just looking for excuses.  Decide.  

Find the pay and hours conditions before you go. She sounds desperate and it could be an opportunity but you can ask her why a person left the position without notice.

1. You interviewed with them before. They don't need to meet with you because they already know your skill level and whether you are a fit for this position.

- this is the way a well run company operates... they keep track of quality applicants so they can use them in the future for open positions that match their qualifications.

2. It sounds like it's a generic position - like an admin assistant, claims representative, IT help desk, etc etc, are going to do the same thing in every company.

3. She called you at least yesterday, if not before that.... and you still haven't called her back to discuss the compensation details. If you don't know by now - that's your problem not hers. I would imagine that she thinks she told you.

4. Why didn't you relocate when you were offered the original job. $10 an hour for 20 hours a week is $800 you would have in your pocket that you haven't earned. Plus, you would have gotten this promotion already. Can't live on $800 a month - you should have figured out how to get a 2nd job to go with it.

If you did not immediately accept the position, the company began the recruitment process. Do you see the position posted online?

• DEBS

Wait. Yesterday it was 3 times you applied and you did get an offer but then they gave the job to someone else. She also couldn't tell you anything about the job or the pay.

thats up to you if you want to take the risk or not, i have moved for jobs before

• Kyle

you've had interviews with them, so they know your background, assumingly. it is possible employers will call on old candidates before going through a process of a new one if a sudden need comes up in their organization.

but, you shouldn't accept it without going over compensation and benefits. that just seems silly and unprofessional. You can thank them for the offer, but would like more information on such topic before considering taking it, and ask for a couple days to review it over.

but if you know the company is legitimate with your research, looking on glassdoor, linkedin or other job board sites for reviews, even BBB, then i don't know why you're still hesitant. do they know you live six hours away and would need time to move to a new place closer? that's where an official offer letter with start date negotiated would take place. and i would think you would tell them that in the interview process.

otherwise, keep looking for other work closer to you.