Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 10 months ago

How do yall get your dog to gain weight?

My dog is underweight. I can feel her spine and hip bones. I just rescued her.

I would go to the vet and ask

• "How do yall get your dog to gain weight?"

It's simple:

1: Feed it enough food at each of 4 to 2 meals per day - ideally: raw birds (remove the feathers), raw eggs, raw fish (remove the needle-bones first!), raw insects, raw mammals, raw reptiles - and have clean water always available for it.

Take the dish away as soon as she leaves it (except when she goes to check what made a strange noise, then races back to the dish to continue eating. If she lovingly licks her dish after she has cleaned & emptied it, put a BIT more in!

2: Keep her warm enough, and help her feel loved and useful, with things to do for/with you.

3: After 2 weeks, start weekly checks on her condition & energy. At SOME stage you will need to reduce her food intake.

From there on you've made CLAIMS instead of supplying INFORMATION.

So I have to ask YOU to supplying the missing information:

• "My dog is underweight."

💥1: What's her AGE, her BREED (or breeds), her WEIGHT (work out the average of 3 weighings)?

💥2: Is she fertile or spayed?

• "I can feel her spine and hip bones."

As [*****] wrote: So you should!

How MUCH you should SEE versus FEEL depends on her AGE and BREED - things you haven't yet told us.

• "I just rescued her."

I doubt that. Very flew places allow anyone except warranted ACO/Dog Control Officers or warranted officers of such as the HSUS or SPCA to actually RESCUE aka "uplift" dogs that aren't theirs. Without that warrant, you are likely to be a dog-thief.

💥3: How did you get her?

a: adopted from the HSUS

b: adopted from the local Pound

c: adopted from the SPCA

d: adopted from a registered dog-rescue charity

e: from the street or some similar place where no-one was with her.

💥4a: If answer 3 was "a" or "b"or "c" or "d": Did the authority tell you she had been checked by their vet, dosed for whatever internal or external parasites she had, spayed (the Pound is the only one of those that might tell you have your own vert spat her), and vaccinated against whatever diseases are appropriate for her age? And were you given a Vaccination Record Card stating what she's been vaccinated against, when, and by whom at/from which clinic, and the date that her next vaccination is required? Have YOU been to the Cpuncil and licensed her in your name-etc for the rest of the registration-year?

💥4e: If answer 3 was "e": Have you informed the ACO/DCO and every vet and every dog-rescue charity in your district, plus advertised her in your district's newspapers so that, if she has an anxious owner looking for her, that owner can contact you by phone and describe this bïtch's identifying marks, her microchip code or tattoo ID? The final identification proof will be how the bïtch reacts to the person claiming to be the owner (without him/her carrying meat or other doggy food...).

💥5: How long have you had her? Have you had YOUR vet check her and make recommendations?

To add that missing 💥 information to your question, for all to see:

¤ Click the [Edit] under your question.

¤ Click the [Add Update] that will pop up.

¤ Type the new information into the clear area that appears.

After you have checked & corrected the "new stuff",

¤ click the [Submit] to permanently & irrevocably "glue" the "new stuff" under your "old stuff".

I hope to see your responses within 24 hours.

Why are you presenting as a blue-faced troll? If you GENUINELY want to know something, change back to your OWN avatar and username.

Kreaky Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD breeder & trainer since 1968

• Ocimom

Take the dog to your vet to be treated for whatever is wrong now. Discuss with your vet how to safely put on weight and how much per week.

Be sure to look for how much food you should be giving your dog for his age and weight. You can find charts on most dog food packages and cans. Also, be sure to give your dog worm medicine. If he has worms that can prevent him from gaining weight. You should find a complete change in your dog after he is properly wormed.

• Nathan

Kitten food added to a normal dog mix, it's high in fat and works quickly. You will want to feed her a little, but a lot. Maybe a quarter of a bowl 6 times a day. A vet is really needed to help with this decision, and to rule out any health issues that can contribute to this

• patty

I presume she has been wormed. I used to make my dogs food and she never got sick. I would cook lean meat and mix with brown rice and mixed vegetables. u freeze it and take out as needed. works out cheap.

Several small meals per day of a decent food.

• *****

You SHOULD be able to to feel her spine and hip bones (and her ribs), they just shouldn't be visible (except a few breeds like sighthounds that have lean builds). The majority of pet dogs are obese, and many people have an extremely skewed view of what a dog should look like at a healthy weight. Additionally, a slightly lean dog is better than an overweight dog. Please have your dog's weight evaluated by your veterinarian before deciding that she needs to gain weight. If she does, it should be a gradual process. Have any medical causes addressed, and feed slightly more than maintenance needs. Do not overwhelm her system.

just keep feeding her and ask the vet what to do

• Jack H

Feed it, I doubt that a respectable shelter would send out an undernourished animal for adoption...