Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 11 months ago

Do you, like me, have an unusual name that is always mispronounced or mis-spelled? What do you do when that happens?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago
    Favourite answer

I have the same problem. My family is from Brazil, and even other Brazilians can't pronounce my last name. Not even my cousin! But, I'm used to it, so I don't really care as much as I used to when I was younger.

• Ona
    Lv 4
    11 months ago

No. My last name is extremely difficult to pronounce. When I see the pain on people's faces the first time they try to say it, I could never have the heart to get mad at them.

• 11 months ago

Both my last name & my wife's last name are frequently misspelled & mispronounced. Never underestimate how stupid or lazy others can be, & you'll never be surprised or upset. Forget it. Just remember Shakespeare's remark about "a rose by any other name."

• 11 months ago

What I DON'T do is get upset or think they're 'disrespecting' me. I just smile and say 'Actually it's [myname] but don't worry about it, I know it's unusual and lots of people aren't familiar with it'.

I have friends who are obviously never going to get it right. I really don't mind.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

You should worrry: when your name is Ralph Cholmondley-Featherstonehaugh you get tired of telling people it is Raif Chumley Fanshaw.

• 11 months ago

I have a polysyllabic Greek surname. And, yes, I correct people.

• 11 months ago

No, me name is pretty common: Catherine...

• Shadow
    Lv 6
    11 months ago

I get annoyed when some people spell my surname wrong

• 11 months ago

I used to get upset and correct the person making the mistake. Now I just let it pass.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.