Scon or Scone.What is the correct pronunciation.?
- BettyLv 78 months agoFavourite answer
Both are acceptable.Scon if you live in the UK,scone if you live in the US.
- bluebellbkkLv 78 months ago
A Scot speaks:
In Scotland almost everyone says 'skon'. Our English friends generally say 'skone'. The palace of Scone is pronounced 'skoon'.
- John PLv 78 months ago
I grew up in the 1950s in a middle class family in southern England. We always said "scon" to rhyme with "don". I have recently read that "scone" (rhyming with "bone") is upper class, "scon" is lower class!
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- tentofieldLv 78 months ago
In English it is "scon". In Scotland it is "scoon" as in the coronation stone of Scotland. People who don't speak English very well might call it "scone" to rhyme with "bone" but they are wrong.
- capitalgentlemanLv 78 months ago
Both are okay. Even in Scotland.
- AnnLv 68 months ago
- Andy CLv 78 months ago
Those are spellings, not pronunciations.
Scone that rhymes with phone is correct.