Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 2 months ago

is it illegal to run over protesters blocking traffic?

I heard of people doing it and not being charged. I don't like waiting. When there is an oncoming train, I hit the gas rather then wait 10m.

Update:

if this is illegal, why were some people who did this not charged 

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Best answer

Unless you can successfully argue it was NECESSARY in self defense, it is illegal to intentionally run over someone, even if they are illegally blocking your travel.

It would take more then blocking traffic to make that case. It they were actively attacking your vehicle, you would have the beginning of a case.

• 2 months ago

unfortunately, yes it is illegal

• 2 months ago

if you continue to drive they will shoot you inside your car.

There's n crime against doing that; you may be charged with resisting or even evading but there's no crime like 'Ramming a police vehicle' or 'Aggressive use of a motor vehicle' etc.

Also yeah it is legal in the US to some degree. If a protestor (or robber, thug, fugitive etc) goes up to your car and starts attacking you or your vehicle, threatening you with a gun knife etc; you are legally within your bounds to flee in whatever means possible, even if it includes running over the guy.

Source(s): Played GTA, if you point a gun at someone through their windshield they are gonna run your ass down!
  • Cee
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Jail may not suit you.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

If you run over a protester I guarantee you will wish you had waited.

Would you rather spend 10 minutes waiting or a couple of years in jail?

• 2 months ago

Yes, it is illegal to run over anyone.

• 2 months ago

It is illegal to deliberately hit a pedestrian.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's illegal to run over protesters UNLESS the Protesters are smashing your windows or attempting to make entry into your vehicle. If you are in danger it can be classed as self defense, if you run them over AFTER they begin attacking your vehicle, otherwise you are just going to have to slowly crawl thru the crowd at walking pace.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Minor correction: To legally be self defense, you have to do it WHILE they are attacking. After would be retaliation.

• 2 months ago

If protesters stand on a train track to block a speeding train, is it illegal for the train to run them over?

• ?2 months agoReport

HAHA THEY DID THIS IN MEXICO!

No one got ran over but 2 tables and some confetti and posters got ripped up and run over!

• 2 months ago

Yes, it is illegal.

It counts as premeditated murder.

At all times, pedestrian legally have right of way if they are on the road.

• ?2 months agoReport

And walking across the road is called Jaywalking!

ALl because people were SCARED of getting charged by hitting pedestrians. SAD!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.