Builder yelled at me for parking over MY OWN drive?

I live in an end-of-terrace house and the house on the corner of the next street are making flats. This has been going on now for 4 months and they're no way complete nor had we been given notice of these works being carried out. Almost every day concrete/wood deliveries are made and lorries park over my drop kerb. I never complain, as I've never had to take my car out at the time of their visits. However, today, I came back from shopping and a lorry was parked over 3 driveways, including mine. I pointed to the driver I needed to get my car onto my drive (they know me and my car now), but he wouldn't move the lorry and in the end I had to drive over 2 of my neighbour's drives to get my car in. When I got out of my car I didn't get one apology and they sat in the lorry cabin with their feet up on the dashboard smoking. I went up to the cabin and said I had trouble getting my car in and that they're parked over my drop kerb. One of the builders yelled, "HOW DO I KNOW WHAT YOU WANTED BY POINTING TO YOUR DRIVEWAY AND DON'T GET ALL LEGAL WITH ME!" Well, it is my drop kerb. I have been back home 2 hours now and the lorry still there whilst they unpack/finish lunch. One of the builders said to me that I should leave a notice up not to park over my drive, but I shouldn't have to as the works as carried out at the road on the corner, so really using my driveway this road is a bonus for them. What do I do?

They ignore "Please don't park here" signs. Police call it a civil matter.

• Jenna
    Favorite Answer

You shouldn't have to put up a sign, but that may be good practice if you don't want confrontation as there are flats nearby. The lorry driver clearly knew not to park there and didn't want to move his lard **** because he was having a cigarette. He is not that naive if he drives for a living. Personally I would be inclined to make a complaint about the driver, but that is up to you because he knows where you live.

Find the phone number of the building company and ask to speak to the manager. You don't have to shout and complain, just explain the situation and ask if there's anything he can do to help.

maybe you should leave a notice up

I would call the police back and talk to the officer in charge. It isn't a civil matter. It is an improper use of public streets. If you park illegally somewhere do you think claiming that it is a civil matter will prevent you from receiving a summons or paying a fine? I seriously doubt that a judge would agree. The guys in the truck were just being bullies.

You're right standing up for yourself, but you do need to keep yourself safe from this aggressor. For a few days, park in front of your own drive/your drop kerb on the road so they can't park there. Maybe then they'll get the message. They'll have to find alternate spaces to park. It is your property after all.

Look for the name of the company he works for (on the lorry) and take it up with his manager if you want to make a complaint. If you want a quiet life, let it go.