Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 8 months ago

Would you let your 18 year old daughter spend the night at her boyfriends?

My daughter (out of high school) wants to spend the night at her boyfriends, whose parents will be home. They are going to a concert together and for him to take my daughter home then drive back home would be over an hour long drive, and an Uber back to our house from the show would be quite expensive so I do believe it’s for conveniences sake. However, I don’t want to seem like I am condoning this and don’t want it to become an every weekend thing. Other parents out there: what are your thoughts?

• Sky

If you can't trust your adult daughter to make smart decisions when it comes to the sex you're most certainly assuming she will be having, then you have failed as a parent to make sure she grew up with the knowledge and maturity to make those smart decisions. To answer the question, if I had a daughter and was in that situation, yes I would let her spend the night with her boyfriend regardless of whether his parents were present because I would have made sure long ago that she had a thorough and comprehensive sex education, I'd have made sure she had access to contraceptives (pill and/or condoms), and I'd have made sure she knew the importance of protecting herself from pregnancy when she was not in any position to take care of a baby. I'd have also made sure she knew she could come to me at any time with any questions and concerns about such matters with no fear of shame, embarrassment, ridicule, hostility, or punishment.

Armer with twenty condoms. For STDs sake. She is old enough to decide to become a mother. As long as she has her own job.

She is 18; she's grown; you can't actually stop her from spending the night at her boyfriend's house; however, assuming she lives with you, you also have the right to not let her stay at your home if you don't like something she's doing. But as far as spending the night at someone's house or doing anything else outside the home, you've got no say anymore.

• GEEGEE

I'd be inclined to say yes. Let her know you don't want this to be a common occurrence.

• edward

Yes. If they had a guest room or a couch. My ex slept at my house like all the time, in my bed almost never, on my bed frequently. And we were sexually active. I’m not sure of your daughters sitch here. I don’t see a problem, although in the same bed, if you’re worried about sex...they probably won’t do it like that, i’ve done it with my parents at home before, they’re not stupid when the door is closed they know what’s going on. But sex can happen quietly

Yes I would let her, after all she's 18 years old.

i can go as the shaperone, if that prik try to get her pusy dont worry im gonna get her ashole and she will be spitrosted GOT IT

How long will you stop her from exploring her body and the world ?

As she is an adult she doesn't need your permission to do what she wants. You seem to think its your business but honestly, you have no say in this at all.

She's 18. She's an adult.

If you're worried about sex, it's just as easy and likely in the backseat of a car.

Hopefully by 18 you've instilled enough values in her for her to make a safe choice and one that's right for her.

Source(s): Mom of 4, Grandma of 1