Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 8 months ago

Why is being vegetarian so easy, but being a vegan like impossible?

There's nothing you can get an Italian resteraunt if you're vegan, there's nothing you can get at an Indian resteraunt if you're vegan

1. if you absolutely must eat out at restaurants make sure you try the HappyCow app which will tell you where the closest restaurants with vegan options are in your area or where you may be travelling to.

2. Most, if not all these days, restaurants are more than happy to accommodate you and omit any animal products from a dish, in other words veganize it for you, if you just ask. They do still want your business after all. I've also heard people say they just tell the waiter/waitress they have an allergy or something to meat/dairy but honestly why be embarrassed you're vegan?

Because animal products are used in many vegetarian products. Egg is in most biscuits and pastries etc which is OK for vegetarians, but rules the out for vegans.

Most cuisines have learned to cook food from what they have around them in nature for 1000s of years. This was animal products and whatever vegetates they could get their hands on. Over time popular dishes were the ones that tasted great with that they could could source from their region. So meat free dishes are not really a problem from a chiefs point of view as recipes from earlier times would had access to dairy products, milk, cream, cheese etc to be used in dishes.

Veganism on the other hand hasn't had as much widespread appeal until modern times, although single item vegan recipes do make up parts of cusine its not easy to say create a meat pie using vegan products. The meat can be replaced, but the problem is that fats from animals have different properties, one. being viscous enough at room temp, than plant fats them unsuitable for cooking, another being that certain favours (herb) are imparted on fat, another being that animal fat, dairy are cheaper.

Some of this is somewhat overcome with the use of palm oil which have enough saturated fat that can replace animal sourced fats and is cheap enough to be used. However, this has its own problems.

So basically, vegan cuisine is somewhat lagging behind non-vegan cuisine.

You're right about the Italian restaurant unless you like veggie salads with olive oil and vinegar and water crackers. There are pastas made without egg and dressed with olive oil, but you probably would have to ask.

Indian should be a lot easier. All those lovely legumes and curries, just hold the gee.

• 8 months agoReport

I'm pretty sure most of the curries have milk in them

You end up mostly eating raw fruit and veg. Crackers and chips. Some pasta dishes, soups or curries. But you're right, when you get into the science experiment/art of assembling a dish, it's hard to not include egg, milk, or something else where say, the garlic powder has pig hair as an anti caking agent or something. You have to stop and really think, like not using any vowels in your speech. And half the time you end up using a processed "egg replacement" anyway.

There's almost always an option but it might be soup, breadsticks, and salad.

• Jeff H

Actually there are several dishes often found in both Indian and Italian restaurants that could be vegan depending on the preparation process they use. In general the main issue is cross contamination however if you were that strict then going out to a regular restaurant is probably not something you would, or should, be doing. I have seen vegan Indian dishes and vegan friendly Italian dishes at various restaurants and although not vegan I do on occasion order them as I always enjoy a nice vegetable or similar dish.

• Al8 months agoReport

Damn, the best answer I've read and it's from a non-vegan lol

• It’s not impossible because I did it and so so many people but it is quite hard and frustrating

Because there are so few vegans and a vegan diet omits SO many things that the rest of us eat.

Added, I'd LOVE to know why I have two thumbs down, which bit of may answer do you people disagree with?

becuz of food type

I think you should try another Indian restaurant. I am sure you could find vegan options.

I think if you ask it might also be possible to get vegan options in an Italian restaurant you might have to request though and maybe a call in advance might help