promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRap and Hip-Hop · 8 months ago

Why is mumble rap so popular when it's so terrible?

I thought that crunk rap back in the early 2000's was terrible compared to old school rap, but mumble rap today ('21 savage" "cardi b" "kodak black" etc is beyond ridiculous with the autotunes the gibberish, the repeated "tish" (think the end of the drum sound "ba dum tish" ) sounds and the crap that all sounds the same.

Why is mumble rap so popular when it's so terrible?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

I have a theory that the trends in music are inspired by the drugs artist are taking, at the time.  "Crack" got us "hyped" in the 80s.  "Weed" made us "chill" in the 90s.  "Crunk" tore up the "club" 00's.  And "Zan" made us "aimless" 10's.  

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

All rap is terrible.

• 8 months ago

Blame the southern hip hop scene. When Atlanta started coming into hip hop that's when all the trash a$$ music started to pop up. T.I and OutKast are the only ATL rappers I'll listen to.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

If the beat is good, noone cares what theyre saying.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

I do not like rap music

• 8 months ago

- Most fans are focused on the instrumental more than the rapper. I've always found this absurd considering most rappers today don't produce their own songs, and even if the beats matter more these lunatics almost never praise producers.

- Because it's casually linked to R&B and Pop. Both of which have also gone downhill.

- Mainstream Hip Hop really appeals to a lot of popular things today. Rappers reference memes, movements, social networking sites, and more.

- It's the only "Hip Hop" most radios play.

- Hype generation and personality are more important these days than skill. There are plenty of popular figures in media that have no skill or talent. They're just rich, or do stupid things on social networking sites for attention. But someone pays them to do that.

- Hip Hop fans and critics don't have clear standards for the genre, and people accept garbage with open arms. Rappers like Future, Lil Yachty, Lil Pump, and the like would have been laughed out of a record studio if they tried peddling their crap in the 90s.

• Farzi8 months agoReport

Even as recent as 2010, they would've been massively disliked. Remember Justin Bieber - Baby? Yeah, compare that to the crap nowadays, and see the likes/dislike ratio difference, when even THAT song has a lot more effort involved in the vocals.

• 8 months ago

NWO type of stuff maybe, make the masses as dumb as possible in any way, so they put this garbage out in the radio?

• blank
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

It gets a lot of radio play.

Some people tend to lean towards what is played on the radio a lot.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

wathefuk r utaknbout?

(That was my imitation of mumble rap saying; "what the f*ck are you talking about." And this explanation of the joke has now ruined the joke...)

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

probably cause people like it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.