Why was Yellowstone NP established?

I'm not totally convinced that the govt created Yellowstone for the *sole* preservation of a scenic area. At a time when they were hellbent on conquering the West. The act does say: "hereby reserved and withdrawn from settlement, occupancy, or sale under the laws of the United States, and dedicated and set apart as a public park or pleasuring ground for the benefit and enjoyment of the people"

However is it 100% genuine? Or maybe it was *in part* influenced by perhaps not finding that the isolated land had much economic value? Lol I know this isn't a reliable source but most sites will simply say "oh what a great job the govt did!" which doesn't help confirm my thoughts.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • CB
    Lv 7
    3 months ago
    Best answer

There are some great books about YP and the discovery of the caldera and the people who first mapped and explored it, and subsequently convinced the POTUS that the land was a national treasure - people were already beginning to exploit it commercially. Diary of the Washburn Expedition and others on Amazon.

Sometimes you just have to read some history......to get the gist and the details.

• 3 months ago

Finish writing your book and tell me

• Andrea3 months agoReport

Lol what does this have to do with anything

• 3 months ago

Yellowstone was the first National Park on the planet.

Why would the Federal Government go through the literally unprecedented action of setting it aside permanently even partly because it had no economic value? They could have just ignored it if that were the case.

The fact is that it was to be put up for public auction until Hayden presented his report. It was Congress (and Grant) thereby recognizing that its value to the country outweighed any economic concerns that got them to pull it from the auction.

• skeptik
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Yeah, that's what a public auction is.

If it had had no "economic value" it wouldn't have been up for auction in the first place.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.