Rachel asked in HealthOptical · 5 months ago

Why are my sister’s whites of her eyes turning a bluish color?

My 20 year old twin sister recently noticed that the whites of her eyes have a blue tint. Weirdly, the color only showed on the whites of her eyes that were not under her eye lid. I will try to include a picture of what we see.

Last week, she had Influenza A and took Tamiflu and over-the-counter cold medicine. My family does have a history of low iron but nobody has ever experienced the bluish sclera color.

Does anybody have an idea of what this could be? She has an appointment with her ophthalmologist next week but I’m just curious if anyone has had this happen before!

The white sclera takes on a bluish tint when this normally thick tissue thins. The sclera becomes translucent, allowing the underlying tissue to show through. Causes include iron deficency anaemia, steroids, other prescriptions meds, some congenital diseases, old age... She needs to see her opthalmologist but doesn't need to rush to the ER.

maybe she should go to the er and get it checked out, im a twin myself

• thesun

Are fingernails and toenails bluish or pinkish? Could be lack of oxygen in the blood ...cyanosis..

• Autumn

That doesn't happen.