Does having chickenpox as a child make you more susceptible to shingles?

I thought it was the other way around...but my grandmother keeps telling im im going to get shingles because i had the chickenpox as a kid

You might get shingles, you might not. Most people do not

Yes. Because it's the same virus that strikes again, only this time, in the nerves.

That's what shingles is. Chicken pox virus that has infected the nerves, and it's

very painful. If you've never had chicken pox, then this cannot happen.

Your grandmother is right. But not everybody who has had chickenpox gets shingles., very few in fact. Usually when old or immune compremised.

Yes.  In fact, you cannot get shingles unless you have had chickenpox at some time.  When you get chickenpox, the virus stays in your system inactive for the rest of your life; this is why you cannot get chickenpox again.

But on rare occasions, in a person who has had chickenpox, the virus becomes active again and produces shingles.  

Since shingles is caused by the chickenpox virus, a person who is not immune to chickenpox can catch it from a person with shingles. However, unlike chickenpox itself, the virus from shingles is not airborne, but is spread by direct contact.

yes, she is correct

It's true that having chicken pox is a risk factor to have shingles later in life, but it's not something that WILL happen. It can happen but it's not a given.

• In

Chickenpox and Shingles are both caused by the Varicella Zoster Virus. After having Chickenpox the virus lays dormant in your central nervous system and can flare up later in life as Shingles. If you have never had Chickenpox as a child you can get it as an adult. The current (new) vaccine is called Shingrix and is a 2 shot regimen instead of 3 shots like the old vaccine (Zostavax). I got my first shot 2 weeks ago at my pharmacy and they will call when it is time for the next shot. The vaccination was covered 100% under my insurance, and is covered to some extent under Medicare although I haven't researched benefits I don't get. I strongly recommend that all seniors or people with compromised immune systems get vaccinated to avoid this painful condition that can potentially cause permanent nerve damage. Supplies of the new vaccine are limited so check with your pharmacy about availability.

People who have had chicken pox are the people who are susceptible to Shingles because chicken pox will live in your spine for the rest of your life and certain events, conditions, stress, roll of the dice... MIGHT cause it to be released and manifest itself as Shingles. Shingles is very contagious as Chicken Pox. Through it is created inside the body, it is an airborne illness as Chicken Pox. It is not contagious as Shingles. Chicken Pox is not contagious as Shingles. You can not catch Shingles. But, yes, again, People who have had Chicken Pox are susceptible, sometimes, to Shingles.

• Murzy

it does so get the shingles vaccine

• Susie

You have to have had chickenpox in order to get shingles. There is a vaccine for shingles. I’m not sure but I think it’s about a 30% chance of getting shingles after having chickenpox. The chickenpox virus stays dormant in your body and can “reactivate” as shingles later in life.