Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 9 months ago

Car insurance and registration in a different state than I live in?

Next year I intend to move from Massachusetts to Ohio for college. I am 20 and only recently got my license so getting my own insurance policy would be pretty expensive. I plan to live off campus in an apartment with roommates. I also intend on buying my mom's old car off of her when she gets a new one. Her suggestion is that I keep it in her name and keep the insurance she has so I don't have to pay a ton of money for insurance which seems ideal but not legal. Don't you have to reregister a car in a state if you have lived there for a certain amount of time? I do intened to come home for holidays and the summer but will still pay rent in Ohio when I come back to Massachusetts so I think that still qualifies me as a permanent resident of Ohio. Is there anyway around this or is getting my own policy and reregistering in Ohio the best thing I can do?

• zipper

As a college student you can keep the car in your home state paper work wise, but you will need to get a driver license for the state the school is in.

I don't think she realizes that simply because you will be the one driving the car, the insurance will cost a ton, even if the car is in her name. The price of insurance is primarily based on the age of the driver, not the owner. Depending on where each person lives in their state, it might even cost more to insure a car in her name with you as the driver than to get your own insurance.

• g

"Don't you have to re register a car in a state if you have lived there for a certain amount of time?":

Not in this scenario, no.

If you are living out of state for the purpose of attending an institution of higher learning you are exempted from having to register your vehicle within that state.

You can legally drive a registered automobile from your home state within your college state as long as you stay enrolled in school.  

The same holds true for your driving license.

As long as you keep your car currently registered and insured in your home state and hold a current driving license you are good to go.  

• JetDoc

As long as you are attending college and NOT working at a job in Ohio, it's legal to keep the title and registration of your car in your home state. You WILL have to notify your insurance company that you are living out of state for the time while you are in school.

• May

Mom is probably correct.

Because you will be a full time college student living out of state and paying non-resident tuition, You are still considered a member of Mom's household and still (legally) considered a resident of Mass. That means that you may use Mom's car at school and be covered. (assuming that her insurance company has previously been notified that you have a drivers license and live in her household.). I said "probably correct" because the above is a rule in most U.S. states and most insurance companies but may not be true of your state and your insurance company. The fact that you would be a full time driver (vs. your present "occasional" status) of her car may be a consideration. Have Mom check with her agent to make sure.

Mom's suggestion is valid. You do not LIVE in Mass., just attending school there, so essentially you are an occasional driver.(even though you are driving most of the time. The insurance has some "flex there" as most of the time you will be in class so NO ONE WILL BE DRIVING THE CAR...during that time period. As you are RENTING in Mass., most renters are on the move ...this month Mass. next month Alabama because of a hurricane.

. Ask the insurer about this(not DMV)

i would talk to the dmv about all this

• Eva

As a student you do not have to change your state of residence to where you attend school. Should you work in Ohio, you would file a non-resident tax return there and file a resident return in Mass.

Listen to your mom. You are legally a permanent resident with your parents. Your school address is temporary. Let mom keep the car in her name and make sure you are added as an additional insured on her policy.

Source(s): Retired claims adjuster