Anna asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 9 months ago

Should my friends technically pay me back when they bail out of concerts, gigs etc?

I can’t believe I’m actually having to write this! But I am so sick of friends letting me down last minute.

Three times in the last month, we have booked events and I have paid more than $30 for them. My friends have cancelled last minute and I have lost that money.

It gets better! I booked tickets for a gig ($50 each) and my friend cancelled last minute. I told her I would try and sell the tickets, but if I couldn’t she would have to still pay me for her ticket. She has point blank refused because she has said she’s doesn’t think she should have to pay for something she can’t go to... even though she agreed to go with me when we got the tickets!!!

I am at that stage where I will not book anything with anyone if there is only 3 or less of us. It’s becoming a joke. I have lost getting on for $200 because people cancel last minute and won’t pay me when I’ve lost money. Am I in the right?

This is the thing with loving music and wanting people to go, I would say they're not as into it as you are and maybe feel pressured to say yes at the time but don't commit in the end.

The best thing is to either go by yourself or find ''gig'' friends.

I used to love going to concerts but always had problems finding someone to go with, in fact I paid on occasion for friends to come. Now I have a few people who I know will always go and we trust each other to pay for tickets.

Simple solution: stop offering to buy the damn tickets! Either that or go to concerts that have general admission or general seating and tell them if they want to join you, they have to buy their own ticket.

Third possible option: They're trying to be polite with you but you might be talking too much during the concert which is ruining it for them.

Since you're only out $30, I'm guessing these aren't exactly high-end bands you're seeing.

You and your friends need to decide on the concerts you want to attend well in advance of booking them. Collect the money first. You don't owe anyone any apologies; if they don't attend at the last minute, they've lost their own money, not yours.

You're right but you need to unfriend them and move on. Although you should've known better than to help them again when they ditched you the first time. All you can do now is move on.

Not only technically but figuratively. With money.

DEFINATELY YOU ARE RIGHT!..... IF they had booked tickets for ya'll to go, and YOU cancelled at last minute, she would expect YOU all to pay her back for the $$ she dished out..even if u didn't make it to the concert....u were committed when tickets were being ordered!................From now on..tell ur friends to book their own tickets OR pay you upfront instead of YOU covering them..that way they'll make sure they attend or they will lose out on the $$ when can't go to concert!.....................but it's happend more than once so time to STOP booking for them....let them pay first n u can order tickets...but dont pay for them expecting they'll pay you back if they can't make it to the show* they'll see that they've paid for them already they shld really try to make it to the concert* YOU are not at fault by any means...n these so called friends that have burned you for the $$ you've had to put out n U don't get it back* That's not a true friend* so STOP booking for them,! n perhaps find new friends*

i think they should pay you back

• Eva

Yes you are. If they want you to buy the tickets, they should give you the money first.

Take it in turns to book the tickets. or get their money before you pay for the tickets.

Yes and you need to find some better friends.

They cancelled that's on them it doesn't cancel their responsibility to pay.

Do not ever book anything for them again they are taking advantage of you.