Jersey asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 10 months ago

Why is it considered sexist if a man requires male health profissionals?

I had a colonoscopy scheduled for yesterday but when I got there, I realised some of the nurses that would accompany the procedure were female.

I quickly told them I would not be laying naked there with female nurses around. They said there were no male nurses available and that I should basically "man up".

I showed them the middle finger, packed my stuff and got out. If it had been a woman, everyone would have been perfectly accomodating to her wishes.

Unless someone called you "sexist" this is largely in your imagination. Plenty of people from the ultra religious to sexual abuse survivors to the just very shy can and will request medical providers of a specific gender. If someone at this facility DID call you "sexist" that would be good cause to make a report to their licensing board because that's not allowed.

• Elana

In most health institutions, you can have a chaperone of the desired sex to make sure nobody does anything illicit with you. But no, you can't specify that all people who work with you are one gender or the other. And no, your chaperone is not guaranteed to have any medical training (although in practice, they will be somebody from the office).

You can try, but you'll get laughed at. No, you're not going to clear women from the room.

Admittedly, when talking about rape, it isn't uncommon to women to ask for all female staff, and the institution MIGHT try to be accommodating, but it's nothing I'd count on. Frankly, I don't know what happens when guys talk about being raped. My guess is that they would try to be accommodating, but because most medical institutions are mostly female, that could be very difficult.

If this is a matter of modesty, I assure you - they've seen it all before. And then some.

I am a health professional. You can choose who you want to be your provider. I've seen people use race, religion, sex or nationality as a means of choosing who provides their care. All we ask is that you're not rude in making your preference known, and that if you feel that strongly about the look of the person who does your procedures, you should make that desire known before the day of the procedure so accommodations can made without upsetting the applecart the day of surgery. But for the record, it's not uncommon for men to balk at women providers. Just as some women prefer female providers.

i am in the middle of it being sexist and not maybe the guy is gay and wants a man to touch him or he just does not feel comfortable having a woman touch him or it could be he feels men would know better about mens health which is obviously not true at all.

What I wonder is why you would not have addressed that at the time of making the appointment if that were so important to you. I've asked specific questions of health professionals based on my own preferences. It's no big deal, but you can't get there, then throw a fit. And...after doing the prep to get a colonoscopy, then walking out, the only idiot in this made up story is you.

My concern is that you may have some kind of colon pathology which hasn't been investigated. You've also wasted an appointment. It's a therapeutic relationship, they will be professional and you needn't worry.

cause women can do a good job too

It's not. You are just letting the retards on the internet think for you

Yeah, they should have rounded up the one male nurse within 20 miles of the place for it. Most nurses are female, so let's hope you never have a hospital stay.

So you're afraid to have females look at your body?? You're very immature or gay. You should PROUDLY show them your tool, and inform them that it's a lethal weapon, and laugh along with them.