NoNamedPerson asked in HealthDental · 10 months ago

what’s it like to get wisdom teeth out?

in a few weeks i’m getting all 4 wisdom teeth out :( i am super nervous and scared. can you explain the whole process how it went from the time you got there to the time you left? i know i’ll be knocked out during surgery but i’m worried about the aftermath and the pain. if you could share your expierence when you got yours out and the process would be great.

how many days will the pain last?

when can i go back to eating regular foods?

when the giant holes in your mouth close?

i am getting them out on a saturday morning at 9 am, will i be okay for school the following week??

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago
    Favourite answer

> i know i’ll be knocked out during surgery

You won't be knocked out.

The anesthesia will make the gums and teeth numb.

It is unpleasant.

> but i’m worried about the aftermath and the pain.

Don't worry. You will be given painkillers, antibiotics, and instructions. Don't start the painkillers until the numbness has worn off.

Take only the minimum amount of painkillers, and quit taking them when you can stand it -- to avoid dependency.

> how many days will the pain last?

One. Don't plan on doing anything useful for the rest of the day. The painkillers will mess with you.

> when can i go back to eating regular foods?

A few hours -- except for grapefruit. Don't eat grapefuit.

Oh, don't try chewing gum either. Wait for being healed up for those things.

> when the giant holes in your mouth close?

You will get your stitches out in 8-10 days, and the wounds will heal soon after.

> i am getting them out on a saturday morning at 9 am, will i be okay for school the following week??

Yes.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • k w
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

well had you chosen a holistic type oral surgeon, I never heard of them til late in life, but

there's no after pain, no soreness, and with the painkillers they use, you can easily drive

you feel quite normal, I had both kinds of dentists, dinosaur docs and the holistic type, I'll never go back to dial-up......

• 10 months ago

I had a pair of very compacted teeth on the bottom, and I had absolutely no pain afterward. The only minor issue was the blood that I swallowed for a little bit, made the stomach a little upset so maybe get some gingerale and have some jello/soup/water to help keep you filled up. Was back to eating normal foods again a day later or so, only minor issue there was peanuts (because it was Christmas time) they were small enough to get into the holes a little bit, no pain just had to flush them out. The holes basically closed within a week or so, again no big deal, just get some small food bits in there and need to clean it. The real fun were the stitches, they feel kinda cool when you ultimately pull them out a week or so later, no pain, just weird.

• KaleyK
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Getting wisdom teeth is out is ... well ... kinda dumb.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.