Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 8 months ago

My masters degree was a waste of time and money, 27 and still live at home, 70k in student loans, work as a waitress?

How am I ever going to move out and find a good job and meet a man and start a family? I feel like I’m going to be stuck at home in debt until I’m 40 and then it will be too late to have kids. I regret getting my masters degree in Japanese language. My undergrad is in Japanese and the classics double major

< I regret getting my masters degree in Japanese language >

Wow, and you didn't get snatched up with a seven figure starting salary? Who would have thought.

Japanese wow who knew you can even major in Japanese not to mention pursue a masters in it. My mind is blown and I’m baffled as to why anyone decides to major in language out of all things not to mention whatever else and later cry to others how they regret it like they weren’t realizing what they were doing when they were doing it. Check please lol

Congrats btw you spent all that time and money on something you could have learned for free on YouTube.

But you know what you’re still young. How about majoring in Chinese this time lol. Sorry I’m not helpful

You didn't make yourself, so you can't tell yourself why you were made.

The greatest philosphers of all time were only guessing as to the meaning of life.

The saddest thing that can ever happen to a person is to go to their grave never knowing why they were here. To find out what your purpose is, you have to go to your Maker and ask. Do so humbly and sincerely and you are guaranteed to get your answer.

Why sit there until you die?

If you remain where you are, you must perish.

If you go to Jesus you will live. If you sit in sullen dispair no one can pity you when your ruin comes; but if you were to die SEEKING MERCY (as IF that were possible) you would be the object of universal sympathy.

You know others who were saved by believing in Him (your own friends and neighbors); so why not you? Why not taste and see that the Lord is merciful?

To perish is awful. We assure that if you seek Him, you will find Him, for He casts out none who come to Him. You shall not perish if you trust Him. On the contrary; you shall find treasure; eternal treasure, that will be stored up for you beyond this life.

We preach to the living even where the vultures gather because we must. Because we know the truth, and the truth will set you free. Because we too were about to perish when we got up and sought mercy for ourselves. We preach because God has ordained us to do just that. A sacred responsibility.

A major in Japanese, is not easy.

We are indeed the lost generation.

What career aims did you have when you chose your undergraduate major & graduate field? Teaching? Not much call for Japanese language teachers in K-12 & you would need M.Ed & student teaching experience to qualify for your state's teacher certification. However, community colleges might need an adjunct professor to teach Japanese. Having lived and/or studied in Japan, your fluency & PRONUNCIATION, matter.

Are you a certified court interpreter, or a translator? You might find freelance work, but a full- or part-time job is unlikely. Japanese companies, more than Japanese consulate, might need interpreter and/or translator work from time to time. For other jobs with Japanese companies, organizations, you'll need a lot more to offer than Japanese language skills.

What additional skills, abilities, training, etc, do you have besides Japanese language? You need to put together an array & market your unique package. If you only work as waitress, you are not putting yourself together, targeting relevant work, and getting your act together. You're passively looking for "jobs" when first, there are no significant jobs to begin with, and second, US has entered the Post-Jobs Era. Get your sht together instead of whining about the lack of jobs. You have to CREATE your own work, offer something of value to those who need it. Market yourself.

You could start teaching at a local community college. I know for a fact they are almost always looking for adjunct professors especially to teach Japanese. I'm currently a grad student and I actually teach at the very same community college I got my start at. I teach sociology 101 and Psych 101. The pay isn't great-but it's better than working as a waitress. (No offense). By the way my Mother is from Japan. Well she's 2nd gen Japanese American.

Many high schools and community colleges need Japanese teachers. You'll need a Ph.D. to teach at a university. You can also apply for many other jobs with multinational companies that have offices in Japan and need people who speak Japanese. You could also apply with the Japanese JET program to be a teaching assistant in a school in Japan. Look up the Japanese consulate to find out how to apply.

Everybody lives at home. That's why it's called home.

• drip

What job did you want, think you were going get?

A Hunch gives you some suggestions.

Have you tried getting a job as a teacher? Universities or community colleges?

If I was in your shoes, I'd be applying for jobs in the State Dept, the Japanese consulates and all the Japanese companies operating in the USA.

As well as working with your professors and alumni from your program to determine what kind of jobs that they are aware for you.