Anonymous

Something seems off with this job offer thoughts?

I've applied to work with a specific company 3 different times. I interviewed the first time and did not get an offer. Then the HR lady offered me a 10/hr 20/hr per week job. (I have a Masters Degree) I turned it down. She then interviewed me for another position in which she did not hire me for.

Today out of the blue she called me with an offer. She told me the person in the department left without any type of written notice. She said they need someone there ASAP. Mind you, the job is 6 hours away so I would need a little bit of time to relocate. She told me they cannot offer me any type of relocation money and that they are in a crunch to fill the position. She said she'd need me there in less then 2 weeks. I don't know that I can move that quickly I'm currently unemployed so I do need work however, this would be a big move for me. I'm a little skeptical about all of this. I don't know if it's worth moving 6 hours away. I would like to work for the company HOWEVER it just seems like something is off to me with this offer. I did not even have to interview and I never even received a description of my job responsibilities or even what my salary would be. I also have no idea who my direct supervisor would be.

Thoughts on all of this?

I really need money/a job but this is going to be a costly move.

I would like to work for this company but again something seems off.

It seems like she's desperate for the help and is reaching out to you because she has no one else who is qualified. She blew you off twice for a position, now she wants you to up and move because she urgently needs the help? Screw her, in my opinion. If you have a gut feeling something seems wrong or off, go with your intuition. This is a big move.

There are a million possible things that could be going on here.

"I've applied to work with a specific company 3 different times. I interviewed the first time and did not get an offer. Then the HR lady offered me a 10/hr 20/hr per week job."

The first thought that comes to mind is you don't have the experience they're looking for and she doesn't trust that you'll be a good fit for the job. If that's the case and you really have your heart set on working for the company you should accept the position. It would be a great opportunity to get your foot in the door although it would cause you extreme financial hardship at least in the beginning. People have done it in the past. If it's a traditional 9-5 M-F job they drive to work 6 hours, stay in a motel during the week and drive back home for the weekends. You might even have to be homeless if that's not an option for you. It's risky.

Another possibility is she's trying to exploit you and see if you'll accept a lowball offer while providing them the benefit of someone with a masters degree. Either way it sounds like she's making up stories and playing games with you. They often do that in an effort to pay you less while reaping the rewards.

• ron h

be wary.  You can not make a decision to move until you know what the job is and what it pays.   Call back NOW.  If the local office is close, make an appointment to see them tomorrow.  If it's far away, call and ask $ and duties.  Unless the future is REALLY bright, you can't move 6 hours away, pay rent and deposits for a min wage job.  

Nice troll. Looks like you caught a few.

• Judy

Don't have a description of your job duties or what you'd be paid? And no interview? No way this is a legit job offer.

"I did not even have to interview" You interviewed TWICE.

"I never even received a description of my job responsibilities or even what my salary would be." Did it occur to you to ask?

How are you supposed to make a decision when you don't have the most very basic of information? Get the information, consider it and then you'll be better equipped to make a decision.

?????????????

Please don't call the person the "HR lady". It is really condescending.

You should call them back and discuss the situation with the job - job duties, salary, benefits.

If you have not interviewed with the person you will be reporting to, ask to have an on-site interview with that person (either fly or drive for the day). Be mindful that they will be looking for others during this time.

A single person who is not currently working, should be able to figure out relocation in two weeks.

• A Hunch

I highly doubt that s/he said "HR Lady" to the employee's face too. I am 100% certain that he has no problem saying it to other employees. It's not uncommon for the employee to have a master's degree and a fancy certification - give her the respect she has earned.

My first thought is to call them back & ask about the position and salary, days, hours etc. Odd that she didn't tell you if she offered you the job! They've already interviewed you so no need for that again... Since you had already applied didn't you already know that you would have to move if you got the job? So that shouldn't really have been an issue.. Good luck with your decision.

If I were in your position I would just tell her unless you get some money for relocation, you have to turn down the offer.