I'm an intern at a small law firm I need upgrade the network server they computer runs slow when accessing the network server for files?

What do you mean by "they computer" and what's wrong with your punctuation? I think this is a windup.

you dont. you talk to the IT people who run your server and network.

• BigE

You need to analyze why not just change things.

You need to profile where you started (what is the transfer speed of a large file) so you can define failure/success better/worse.

You can analyze the network throughput to see if it is transfer speed, but there are several ways it can be on the server software side or hardware side.

And you will need resources to bring up a test server to compare.  It doesn't have to have the same data but the same type of data.

• Who

like f//k you are

NO law firm is gonna entrust their computer system to an intern even in a small way

and absolutely no way let them anywhere near their network server

• David

To be honest I wouldn't allow an intern the responsibility of upgrading the server. There would be hundreds of thousands of sensitive documents, wills, contracts etc. This is not the sort of thing you should be undertaking without close supervision. The fact that you are having to post a question like this on Yahoo Answers confirms that you don t have the skills or knowledge to undertake this task and that you are not being adequately supervised. This is not me just being rude it is simply how I and others would see it

So what's your question???

• P

File server's don't generally need much power so the problem more likely lies with  poor network hardware and\or a bad wireless network.   If most people are not using a wired ethernet connection along and with using cheap\old PC's to do their work on that doesn't help either.  

Thanks for letting us know.

But the first thing I would evaluate is.. is it the server or how they access the server?