Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 8 months ago

Why do women choose low paying careers and then complain they can’t afford cost of living, then say they aren’t gold diggers for marrying up?

I see it all the time from women. Woman chooses low marketable/easy major, women forced into low paying job/career path, women can’t afford rent or mortgage, has to live with parents or roommates, women reaches near 30 years old and still single because working part time jobs to make ends meet, gets desperate to settle down, marries a guy who makes decent money, starts family. They always rely on marrying men or their parents to save them from their poor decisions.

Actually even the Engineers and Computer Science guys have a tough time with rent and mortgages where I live. The average home price is $669,000 dollars, twice the national average. As for wrong majors, not all of us can be an Engineer, they are a special breed. Even the Business majors I knew in college are having to go for an MBA if they hope to go any further in their careers.

As turns out teaching, nursing and social work are some of the most demanding professions out there. Yes, if you're thinking about money instead of humanity when you choose your college major maybe you'd avoid those. But these are important jobs that society couldn't function without. So instead of trying to get everyone to become a hedge fund manage we should probably just value these necessary fields a bit more. FYI, most of the married teachers I know are married to other teachers. So it's not like they're all out there seeking rich guys. Also, males in nursing is about the fastest growing shift in that profession in centuries. So this isn't just a "woman thing".

It's not about choosing a low-paying career but being channeled into one via social conditioning and expectations. We're not making poor decisions but decisions which are foisted upon us by society.

• amy

yeah you see I chose to work as a cook after high school. I was earning nearly $900/wk at 19 so not full pay rate. I did my degree in science. Technically I should have gotten a lot of money for it with lots of jobs but I was stupid and didnt think about predicting the future. The global financial crisis really sufficated the science industry. At this point there are barely any jobs. More people with degrees then jobs. And I would get paid more in a no skill no qualification job. If I wanted to make money I would have to go for a phd which will take over a decade and then I can move overseas and actually get money but I dont want to do that. Still deciding where Im going to right now. Maybe engineering or psychology. Probably psychology then med school but i will enjoy it less then engineering but it has better job and pay options. From hard science to social science, its pretty embarrassing. Im too rusty to go back to remedial therapy and I have arthritis in my hands so its not physically possible. But there is money in remedial therapy.

Trolls feed on outrage. Don’t feed the trolls

And, the men just get taken by these cunning women? They have no say in the matter? Wow, you don't paint a very good picture of men in your little theory.

Wow, misogynist much?

Women are discriminated against in the workplace and in school. They make 80 cents on the dollar for what men make. They're discriminated against if they're single, and they have a limited time that they can have children. Any of this could explain what you're seeing.

But it also seems like you have a bias against women in general. Yes, some women are in low-paying careers, but clearly you don't see the ones in high-paying careers.

I suspect you're angry because women don't date you. Amiright?

• A Hunch

We are supposed to be upset because our biological clock only allows us to have children until without assistance on average until we are 42 and some how this impacts our ability to select higher paying careers? It's not 1965!

As a woman, I don't know. But I disagree that you see it all the time....

- There are currently more women in med school than there are men.

- There are more woman attending college than men.

Per workingwomen.com, women earn .9% more than men in the same job.

But it's true woman do have a tenancy to migrate to lower paying careers: Example: HS grad no desire for additional formal education

- females will gravitate to retail and restaurant

- men will gravitate to factory work often earning $2-3 more per hour with zero skills required.

You are back to normal, I notice - incendiary.

They choose low paying careers because they don't want to do real work and they want a man to do all the hard work for them