So why are westerners being lectured about plastic pollution when ninety percent of it comes from Africa and Asia?

Out of the top ten rivers that produce the most pollution, eight are in Asia and two are in Africa. The Yangtze River in China and the Ganges River in India were responsible for the most plastic pollution.

You mean the waste that originated in the West and we sent to them because we could not be bothered with it.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/28/asia/malaysia-p...

China has now stopped accepting Western waste other countries are starting to send it back, you will probably start to smell it when it starts to build up at your local tip.

• Cowboy

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

republicans are total losers

• LP7

Westerners bury their plastics, dump them where they stand or pay China or other 3 world countries to cop it.Resource consumption by 1st world is phenomenal compare to poorer countries.Please!

Do not go to these sites. They will steal your credit card information.

I think the problem is what was coming out of China, was what the West had sent them for recycling.

Because westerners are the ones who made the plastics in the first place.

We have better garbage collection systems than Africa and Asia have, so less of what we produce ends up in our rivers, but we still produce and use far more of it.

Incidentally, a lot of the plastic waste that's showing up now in Asia's rivers came from us. We paid them to take it from us and recycle it, then kept sending it to them after it became clear they couldn't do it. They're getting fed up with it and sending the stuff back.

• Zirp

Because it would be hypocritical to TELL others to do something when WE don't do it ourselves

I have been picking up a large trash can of plastic off the beach in front of my house every week all summer long. I don't give a rats rear about Afrika or China- plenty of useless losers living up river of me right here.

We lecture each other, we change our ways and we pressure others to emulate, it's called leadership.

Yea. I know. I've seen it on TV. Massive Islands of it around Indonesia. Until others respond because it affects them...no need for me.